Skip to main content

Unravelling - Week 9

No picture of the balcony or the cupboards this week - the balcony is progressing, but looks exactly the same as last week, and the kitchen cupboards are coming next Wednesday, so that's the state of the renovations. 

Our lockdown is gradually getting lifted, with bigger groups allowed to congregate and gyms (hopefully) reopening on the 22nd of June. I'm working at home until at least the end of June. After that, we shall see.

In these crazy times at least I can rely on three things:

Knitting: Sleeve Island is going well:



I'm halfway through - the stitch marker at the top marks the halfway mark. I would have gone one stripe further, but I was weighing my yarn as I went and it was clear I would run out if I went further. It's a bit strange, since I starting with exactly the amount of yarn the pattern called for, and I have shortened the arms by 10cm each. Still, it's a beautiful, distracting knit that is interesting enough to keep my attention, but not too demanding. And the yarn (knit picks Bare Hare) is a pleasure. Soft and fuzzy and so warm.

Reading: is actually happening! I'm reading The Last Emperox  by John Scalzi. It's the third in a series, so no surprises, but i highly recommend it. it's a space-opera about the imminent collapse of a civilisation, and despite this it is light and silly and funny. 

Audio-books: I finished The Caine Mutiny. I took me two months - it's a long book, but worthwhile. Full review here. Next up is untamed, by Glennon Doyle, a very different kind of listen. i've only just started

I've only just started it, but I love her voice. And look at that cover!

As usual on a Wednesday I'm linking up with Kat and the rest of the Unravellers. Check it out over at As Kat Knits.

Comments

  1. That is a gorgeous cover on the Glennon Doyle novel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a pretty sleeve!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelled wednesday and WAYRN - the one where I prepare

We are heading off for some camping and hiking and general R&R on Friday, so I'm currently in planning and preparing mode. Of course that mainly means deciding what to knit - I'm going to make the Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli. The yarn is wound and I'm ready to go. I completed Leon's Winter Set (2023) just in time, and it's currently blocking. I'm reading Georgette Hayer's Fredrica , which I am enjoying very much. Regency romance is so sweet and, unlike current romance offerings, I know it won't suddenly tumble into gynaecological territory!  For unexplained reasons, NetGalley is offering some Georgette Heyer books at the moment - (maybe it's re-release?) and I'm taking this opportunity to read a few more of them And that's my week in knitting and reading.  To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as  Sharondoublekni t and on GoodReads as  Sharondblk .  I'm joining in with Kat ...

Yarnalong - the one with the final bit of transport

Remember how I took every form of transport known to man a fortnight ago? Well, I was missing just one thing, suburban trains. But today I got to remedy that, knitting my way to Dandenong for work. Yay? My Char jumper has been knitting up ridiculously fast. It's easy, pleasant and a well written pattern. I'm reading Rachael Herron's latest book The Ones Who Matter Most . It's a good read so far, family centered fiction, easy to read but still emotionally challenging. I'm listening to Evelyn Waugh's Men At Arms . I'm enjoying it, I didn't really know what to expect, but some of it reminds me of Catch 22, in that it catalogues the absurdities of war and bureaucracy. The narrator has the perfect upper crust English accent and I'm very pleased it's the first of a trilogy.   And that's another week of reading, knitting and catching trains everywhere for me. Do pop along to Ginny's blog to see what she and the rest of the yarnalong ...

Slowly slowly

I haven’t posted about my actual knitting for a while. This might be because not much has changed since the last time I talked about my knitting. This is the edging of my Village Sweater Wrap:  The picture fails to capture how much further there is to go. I'm just past the first arm hole, so just over a third of the way through. It’s 47 stitches of relatively simple lace. I’ve been knitting it since Monday two weeks ago. It’s quite pleasant, and slowly growing but I can’t quite work out why it’s growing so slowly. One reason I know is that the first week I was knitting it during Good Beer Week, so I didn’t take it out and about with me. I knit other things, and when I’m knitting two things it makes everything feel like it takes forever. But the main reason, I think, is that this is just a slow knit for me. I love the needles I’m knitting on ( Karbonz of course) I love the yarn, I love the way the lace looks. So really, what’s the rush? I’m not going to be cold...