Skip to main content

Leon's Winter Set (2015)

 I finished the hat for Leon's set while we were on the first part of our holiday, so Skip took this photo, which I love.

The rest of the set I knit over the rest of the holiday. Lots and lots of one by one rib! Because of this I knit the entire set flat. The main detail that I love is that I used a  tubular cast on and cast off. I love the way this looks, like the edge just sort of wraps around. The only issue is that it is mean to be a super stretchy cast on/off and, particularity on the mitts, it really isn't as stretchy as I expected.

I've had a couple of people ask me how I did the scarf - it's just intasia. So, I cast on 16 stitches in the main colour, 8 in the Noro (contrast colour) and then 32 using another ball of the main colour. Then I just did one by one rib forever, making sure to wrap the yarn at each colour change. It was simple enough, but I did feel like I spent as much time untangling the yarn as I did knitting.

The mitts I also knit flat and then sewed up, leaving a gap for the thumbs. I then picked up stitches for the thumbs and cast off using the tubular method, which I think I'll have to redo for the thumbs because its a bit tight. Other than that, I'm very happy with set, and I hope Leon is too.



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh god, I hope Damian doesn't see this…

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Look what I found!!

I was putting away the yarn from my mothers ASJ, which I have finished - it's having a bath right now, and I found this blue yarn:

Now, I'm pretty sure that the yarn I left at book club a month ago was Patonyle in navy, and that's what this is too! Either way, it is an exact match:

That's the old yarn and the one I just found, together, and they are the exact same colour!

There is only 13 grams, so I don't know if it will be enough to finish both sleeves, and the  iCord front, but if it is I won't have to wait another month to declare this project done!


Moving on UP

So, last week Leon and I bought a house! Well, actually a perfectly sized flat. The thing about our perfectly sized flat is that it’s a bit smaller than our current rather home – where we live now is a giant flat built in the 1960s. We’ve got loads of space, a  dining room,  a garage and a storage room. Unfortunately, not too much maintenance has been done on the place in the last three decades. The place we’ve bought is lovely – 15 years old, with a new kitchen, views to forever and nothing is falling apart. But it’s got a carspot, and room for a dining table in the living room. So, I’ve had a look at my stuff and I’m getting rid of things like a crazy lady! Also, it turns out I’d rather get rid of everything than move it. I'm destashing as if we are moving into the carspot, rather than the flat! All our CDs –GONE. All the DVDs –given away, books - bye bye...

It’s been really interesting, especially in relation to my crafting things. I’ve got quite a lot of spinning fibre, and I’m…

Yarnalong - the one with the end of a chapter

Last week Ginny announced that, after 6 years, she was finishing the yarnalong. . I’ve been participating since  December 2013 ; over three years. It’s bittersweet – doing the Yarnalong has given me a good structure to my blogging and I’ve loved reading about what Ginny, and all the other members of the yarnalong get up to every week. But this is a time of change for me – some very exciting things have happened, which I can’t share here quite yet. It’s a time for letting go, and for new beginnings. So I leave you with one last photo of my kindle and my knitting, and I say “thank you” to Ginny, and everyone else who have brightened my Wednesdays for the last 6 years.