Skip to main content

Yarnalong - the (first) one with the border

As mentioned last post I'm knitting the border of my Rams and Yowes Blanket. Since the border has more stitches than the body of the blanket, I imagine we will be here for a while!

I had a weird week in reading. I started House of Sleep, because Kate wanted to know if I agreed with her about the ended. Well, we will never know because I found the characters unbearable and gave up quite quickly. Then I read the next  Phryne Fisher novel  Murder at the Green Mill, because they are always reliable and enjoyable. Also rather brief. So after finishing that, I started None of the Above, which somebody recommended. It's young adult fiction and it's fine although it does read rather like a case study or a very earnest "how to manage a difficult situation" rather than a novel.

And I'm listening to The Witch in the Wood   the next book in the Once and Future King Series. I did take a break from the series to listen to Viktor Frankel's Man's Search for Meaning. I had a very different reaction from the rest of the reviewers, and mainly I found it interesting that he decides that suffering can ennoble us, and therefore does not express any anger at those that caused his suffering. 

So except for the knitting, that trundles on calmly through the pleasant but endless border, it's been a bit all over the place this week! Pop over to Ginny's blog to see what she, and the rest of the yarn-along, are up to this week.

Comments

  1. I have a blanket that has been in time out for the summer, but with cooler weather on the horizon I hope to finish it before NEXT summer, blankets do take awhile.

    I gave up reading The Vacationer's last week because the characters were unbearable! Here is to knitting and better books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a few weeks when I couldn't gel with the books I was reading, hope you have better luck this week. Good luck with the border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheep? Are those sheep? I LOVE IT! I grew up on a sheep farm and thought nothing of it then but now wooly, sheep things make me so homesick. :D I've been meaning to learn color work, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That blanket is so great - I've never seen that pattern before, I'm off to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh good luck with the border - it looks like it's coming along nicely! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelled wednesday and WAYRN - the one where I prepare

We are heading off for some camping and hiking and general R&R on Friday, so I'm currently in planning and preparing mode. Of course that mainly means deciding what to knit - I'm going to make the Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli. The yarn is wound and I'm ready to go. I completed Leon's Winter Set (2023) just in time, and it's currently blocking. I'm reading Georgette Hayer's Fredrica , which I am enjoying very much. Regency romance is so sweet and, unlike current romance offerings, I know it won't suddenly tumble into gynaecological territory!  For unexplained reasons, NetGalley is offering some Georgette Heyer books at the moment - (maybe it's re-release?) and I'm taking this opportunity to read a few more of them And that's my week in knitting and reading.  To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as  Sharondoublekni t and on GoodReads as  Sharondblk .  I'm joining in with Kat ...

Yarnalong - the one with the final bit of transport

Remember how I took every form of transport known to man a fortnight ago? Well, I was missing just one thing, suburban trains. But today I got to remedy that, knitting my way to Dandenong for work. Yay? My Char jumper has been knitting up ridiculously fast. It's easy, pleasant and a well written pattern. I'm reading Rachael Herron's latest book The Ones Who Matter Most . It's a good read so far, family centered fiction, easy to read but still emotionally challenging. I'm listening to Evelyn Waugh's Men At Arms . I'm enjoying it, I didn't really know what to expect, but some of it reminds me of Catch 22, in that it catalogues the absurdities of war and bureaucracy. The narrator has the perfect upper crust English accent and I'm very pleased it's the first of a trilogy.   And that's another week of reading, knitting and catching trains everywhere for me. Do pop along to Ginny's blog to see what she and the rest of the yarnalong ...

Slowly slowly

I haven’t posted about my actual knitting for a while. This might be because not much has changed since the last time I talked about my knitting. This is the edging of my Village Sweater Wrap:  The picture fails to capture how much further there is to go. I'm just past the first arm hole, so just over a third of the way through. It’s 47 stitches of relatively simple lace. I’ve been knitting it since Monday two weeks ago. It’s quite pleasant, and slowly growing but I can’t quite work out why it’s growing so slowly. One reason I know is that the first week I was knitting it during Good Beer Week, so I didn’t take it out and about with me. I knit other things, and when I’m knitting two things it makes everything feel like it takes forever. But the main reason, I think, is that this is just a slow knit for me. I love the needles I’m knitting on ( Karbonz of course) I love the yarn, I love the way the lace looks. So really, what’s the rush? I’m not going to be cold...