Skip to main content

Striped success

I blocked my Quicksilver Shawl and I love, love love it.
The pink did not run at all, and the mesh flattened out and the colours together make my heart sing. The only small downside of this shawl is that it demands to be worn what I always thing of as "backwards" rather than wrapped around the shoulders.

"Backwards" or the way it looks good
This is how it is pictured in the pattern, and for some reason it just doesn't work the other way around. 
"Forward" not so good
It's big, probably bigger than any of my other shawls, and likely to grow a bit more over time, and I really do love a huge shawl these days.

I used ALL THE YARN! Or at least all the pink and brown. I got a couple of extra stripes in at the end, and then did a I-cord cast off in the pink. I'm so happy to have used the oldest yarn in my stash, and made something that I will wear. Although it's been remarkably warm this month, eventually we will head into autumn and winter, and I can see myself with this thrown over a black dress feeling significantly warmed and cheered by both the actual physical warmth and the emotional cheer that these colours give me.

I wore it to dinner last night, and got more unsolicited compliments on a project than I can remember getting on any recent project. It's the exuberance of the colours, the simple, joyful cascade of the lace, and the way the brown anchors the brightness that makes this such a pleasure to make and to wear. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelled wednesday and WAYRN - the one where I prepare

We are heading off for some camping and hiking and general R&R on Friday, so I'm currently in planning and preparing mode. Of course that mainly means deciding what to knit - I'm going to make the Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli. The yarn is wound and I'm ready to go. I completed Leon's Winter Set (2023) just in time, and it's currently blocking. I'm reading Georgette Hayer's Fredrica , which I am enjoying very much. Regency romance is so sweet and, unlike current romance offerings, I know it won't suddenly tumble into gynaecological territory!  For unexplained reasons, NetGalley is offering some Georgette Heyer books at the moment - (maybe it's re-release?) and I'm taking this opportunity to read a few more of them And that's my week in knitting and reading.  To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as  Sharondoublekni t and on GoodReads as  Sharondblk .  I'm joining in with Kat ...

Yarnalong - the one with the final bit of transport

Remember how I took every form of transport known to man a fortnight ago? Well, I was missing just one thing, suburban trains. But today I got to remedy that, knitting my way to Dandenong for work. Yay? My Char jumper has been knitting up ridiculously fast. It's easy, pleasant and a well written pattern. I'm reading Rachael Herron's latest book The Ones Who Matter Most . It's a good read so far, family centered fiction, easy to read but still emotionally challenging. I'm listening to Evelyn Waugh's Men At Arms . I'm enjoying it, I didn't really know what to expect, but some of it reminds me of Catch 22, in that it catalogues the absurdities of war and bureaucracy. The narrator has the perfect upper crust English accent and I'm very pleased it's the first of a trilogy.   And that's another week of reading, knitting and catching trains everywhere for me. Do pop along to Ginny's blog to see what she and the rest of the yarnalong ...

Slowly slowly

I haven’t posted about my actual knitting for a while. This might be because not much has changed since the last time I talked about my knitting. This is the edging of my Village Sweater Wrap:  The picture fails to capture how much further there is to go. I'm just past the first arm hole, so just over a third of the way through. It’s 47 stitches of relatively simple lace. I’ve been knitting it since Monday two weeks ago. It’s quite pleasant, and slowly growing but I can’t quite work out why it’s growing so slowly. One reason I know is that the first week I was knitting it during Good Beer Week, so I didn’t take it out and about with me. I knit other things, and when I’m knitting two things it makes everything feel like it takes forever. But the main reason, I think, is that this is just a slow knit for me. I love the needles I’m knitting on ( Karbonz of course) I love the yarn, I love the way the lace looks. So really, what’s the rush? I’m not going to be cold...