Skip to main content

Yarn acquisitions

I've been trying to reduce my stash so that I buy yarn to put on the needles directly for projects, rather than having things marinate in the stash box for months, or even years. This has been an interesting exercise. I have gone from a high of 26 kilometres, to a more modest 9715 meters (just before I bought all the yarn in this post!).
It has also meant that when I want to knit something, I have to buy yarn. most recently a hat for Rachey meant a trip to Morris and Sons, and some baby jumpers meant an order from Bendigo Woollen Mills.

I ordered the Bendigo yarn a week before I needed it, and got the shipping notification a full week later. Grr, so annoying, so I west to Morris and Son's and bought the yarn for the baby jumper. Which I finished before the yarn arrived. Oh well, now I have it in stash for the next time I want to knit a baby girl jumper.

I also put an order in with Kate Davies, with yarn for the Greis dress! I'm using the exact yarn and colourway from the pattern. It feels a bit lazy, but doing colourwork in the pattern yarn and colours seems very relaxing to me. While I was on her shopping site, I picked up a jumpers worth of discontinued Buachaille in pink, probably for a Finlaggan cardigan. It was half price, and I love the yarn. I put the Kate Davies order in after I couldn't go to the yarn festival for a bit of consolation, although no one would call this yarn second prize.
 And then, to celebrate sOctober (or at least that's how I'm telling the story) Dani from Half-Baked HandDyed did me a teal self striping sparkle yarn. There are not enough squeeeeees in the world for how I feel about this yarn. 

While I was putting in Bendigo orders I chucked in a kilogram of fibre - notice it's described as "100% pure wool" and that's it. 


I have a plan for this, or at least for some of it, but I need to clear the wheel first. More spinning details to come. So, my stash is currently at 13848 meters, I have some great projects in my immediate future and no baby that comes near me will be without a jumper!



Comments

  1. I love your acquisitions and plans, I can't wait to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the spinning.

      Delete
  2. I always admire people who don't have giant yarn stashes. Mine has become a bit overwhelming and rather than dig into it, I go buy more. I may have to put myself on a 2020 yarn diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me 6 years to get it down from 26 kilometres to it's current state, but I do find it easier to manage, and less stressful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geogradiant MKAL Part 1 - that was unexpected (spoilers)

Stephen West released the first MKAL clue on Thursday night. I started knitting it without looking at spoilers. When I got up on Friday he had sent through an "alternative" clue one. I then went and had a look at the spoiler thread to try to work out what was going on. Which was that some people thought the pattern looked like a "German hate symbol". I knit on anyway, since I was half-way through. Then he took down the original clue, replacing it with a mitred square in garter stitch. The Ravelry forums and Instagram are a complete shit-show, even though Rav is being moderated. It's been a bit disheartening, having something that is usually quite light and fun weighed down with all this. I admire Stephen's quick and sensitive response to this drama. I also feel that anything can look like anything if you squint. To me this looks like a Celtic knot. I think mine is pretty, and I'll knit on through all crises. 

Linky Wednesday - the one with the drama

The drama about the Stephen West MKAL  continues, and I can't be bothered with it. It's meant to be a fun, interesting, communal knit and and that's not what this year has turned in to. Stephen has done his best in a difficult situation, but I'm just not feeling it. Meanwhile, Israel is at war, and we (as a country) are going to vote "no" on a referendum that asks for basic consideration for Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders.  So yeah, lots of turmoil here. It's very tiring. I'm knitting a sock and considering what happens next.  Luckily the reading was dramatic in a good way. I'm reading a NetGalley review copy of Last Summer at the Lake House and it's great.  Super dramatic family drama about three sisters who loose their father unexpectedly and then find out that the family has secrets. I 've nearly finished it and I don't know what I'm going  to read next. I've got a bit of a break between review books, so maybe Sta

Mussleburgh musings

I made a Mussleburgh hat earlier in the year, and even though I thought I was following the directions exactly it did not come out quite right.  It was a little bit loose. My head is 51 cm, my gauge was 7 stitches, so according to the pattern I knit the right size. It's also a little bit shorter than I would like it. Too long for a beanie, too short for a good turn-up. I couldn't work out why. I still wore it, but it was not quite right. When I decided to knit one for Elise I knew I wanted to make it longer, and tighter. After I finished Elise's (with 24 fewer stitches) I realised something about mine: Now, this is a knit tube. I know how to knit tubes. When I make sleeves or socks, they don't balloon out in the middle. So I decided to reblock it. The instructions actually specifically say to fold it inside each other after blocking, but I probably folded it and dried it on my head, because that's how I block my hats. Not this time: Now it's longer and thinner