Skip to main content

Unravelled Wednesday - we're out!

 After 29 weeks of lockdown (with about three weeks in June off) we have now officially not in lockdown. Even though it makes little difference to me yet, it's just the relief. It was a long journey, but we had zero cases on Monday and Tuesday and only 2 today (from a known source) so hopefully it worked.  Shops are open. 105 days without shops was weird and the postal system is rather overwhelmed so everything is talking three weeks to get here. We still have 25km travel limits, and I think I'll be working from home for a while yet but I can get my nails done! Oh the excitement.

It was a pretty solid week in reading and knitting too. I made good progress on my socks (or Leon's socks I should say): 

I'll get them finished today - one of the great joys of working from home is being able to knit out of sight during meetings.

The Westknits Slipstravaganza clue was a quick on this week, and I was finished on Sunday night. Little checks followed by adorable triangles. So fun.

You can't see it too well because it's all scrunched up on the needles. For looking at others, it is quite large, and I'm going to make mine as large as possible. HUGE.

I read Passing by Nella Larson. I picked it up because someone - I think someone from Unravelled Wednesday - recommended it as a "own voices" book. A slim volume that really packs a punch.Well worth reading.

Now I'm reading Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney. It's a story of a painfully awkward uni student, her best friend and some (not very) romantic entanglements, but it's so much more. Class, gender, usefulness, friendship are all in the mix. And it's so well written that I can ignore the complete lack of quotation marks. That's how good this is. 

As usual on a Wednesday I'm linking up with Kat from As Kat Knits. Thanks for hosting Kat.




Comments

  1. congrats on living somewhere where people are obviously thinking of others and staying safe....our county just jumped into the red zone again. blah.

    Love the socks and shawl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a hard time though. I never realised the IDEA of being able to go to the shops was so powerful!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geogradiant MKAL Part 1 - that was unexpected (spoilers)

Stephen West released the first MKAL clue on Thursday night. I started knitting it without looking at spoilers. When I got up on Friday he had sent through an "alternative" clue one. I then went and had a look at the spoiler thread to try to work out what was going on. Which was that some people thought the pattern looked like a "German hate symbol". I knit on anyway, since I was half-way through. Then he took down the original clue, replacing it with a mitred square in garter stitch. The Ravelry forums and Instagram are a complete shit-show, even though Rav is being moderated. It's been a bit disheartening, having something that is usually quite light and fun weighed down with all this. I admire Stephen's quick and sensitive response to this drama. I also feel that anything can look like anything if you squint. To me this looks like a Celtic knot. I think mine is pretty, and I'll knit on through all crises. 

Linky Wednesday - the one with the drama

The drama about the Stephen West MKAL  continues, and I can't be bothered with it. It's meant to be a fun, interesting, communal knit and and that's not what this year has turned in to. Stephen has done his best in a difficult situation, but I'm just not feeling it. Meanwhile, Israel is at war, and we (as a country) are going to vote "no" on a referendum that asks for basic consideration for Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders.  So yeah, lots of turmoil here. It's very tiring. I'm knitting a sock and considering what happens next.  Luckily the reading was dramatic in a good way. I'm reading a NetGalley review copy of Last Summer at the Lake House and it's great.  Super dramatic family drama about three sisters who loose their father unexpectedly and then find out that the family has secrets. I 've nearly finished it and I don't know what I'm going  to read next. I've got a bit of a break between review books, so maybe Sta

Mussleburgh musings

I made a Mussleburgh hat earlier in the year, and even though I thought I was following the directions exactly it did not come out quite right.  It was a little bit loose. My head is 51 cm, my gauge was 7 stitches, so according to the pattern I knit the right size. It's also a little bit shorter than I would like it. Too long for a beanie, too short for a good turn-up. I couldn't work out why. I still wore it, but it was not quite right. When I decided to knit one for Elise I knew I wanted to make it longer, and tighter. After I finished Elise's (with 24 fewer stitches) I realised something about mine: Now, this is a knit tube. I know how to knit tubes. When I make sleeves or socks, they don't balloon out in the middle. So I decided to reblock it. The instructions actually specifically say to fold it inside each other after blocking, but I probably folded it and dried it on my head, because that's how I block my hats. Not this time: Now it's longer and thinner