Skip to main content

Unravelled Wednesday - the one with two non fiction review books

I "read" two non-fiction books this week. I put that in inverted commas, since one was The Queen's English, by Chloe O Davisa dictionary of terms related to the LGBTQI community. It is beautifully presented and put together, with descriptions, definitions and warnings. Oh yes, the warnings, which are basically "be careful using this language if these are not your people". Very true. I don't want to appropriate another culture's language. In fact, the production of a book like this is part of the gentrification of certain subcultures, some parts of which are quite happy to be joining the mainstream, and other parts who are not. So I don't know who this book for - I feel like "if you know you know" and if you don't know you can't use this language anyway. But it is a very pretty book.

I also read Blackface by Ayanna Thompson, another in the Object Lessons Series. I requested this one because I know that blackface is wrong, but I didn't quite know why. I don't mean just dressing up a generic Black person, I mean darkening the skin to dress up as a specific person - possibly in respectful homage. And now I know. It's a well written, focussed book that somehow tackles this topic from a wider perspective than simply racism.Not that racism is ever simple, but there is more to it than that. This simple book enlarged my understanding of an interesting, if fraught, issue.

And I'm reading Mexican Gothic, which I bought because a bunch of reviewers I follow liked it, and it was the Kindle Daily Deal a little while ago. It's atmospheric and creepy, and so far I'm enjoying it. And look at that stunning cover. Beautiful.

I've just about finished my Sock-Arms Foot Socks, which have been my "in public" project this week, just the toe to go.

I got up early before work on Tuesday and cut the steeks on my Tracery vest - now it's just the sleeve and neck ribbing and I'm done. I'm pretty excited to get this epic project off the needles and on to my body.

As usual on a Wednesday I'm joining in with Kat from As Kat Knits for Unravelled Wednesday. there is no Yarnalong for the time being, Ginny is expecting another baby (her ninth!) and is rather tired at the moment.


Comments

  1. In live with vest, and nothing better than a pair of stripped socks! I wish I would come out of my reading slump, very little is appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finding I'm pickier about what I read than usual, I wonder if a lot of people are feeling a bit disconnected from reading right now.

      Delete
  2. Your vest is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geogradiant MKAL Part 1 - that was unexpected (spoilers)

Stephen West released the first MKAL clue on Thursday night. I started knitting it without looking at spoilers. When I got up on Friday he had sent through an "alternative" clue one. I then went and had a look at the spoiler thread to try to work out what was going on. Which was that some people thought the pattern looked like a "German hate symbol". I knit on anyway, since I was half-way through. Then he took down the original clue, replacing it with a mitred square in garter stitch. The Ravelry forums and Instagram are a complete shit-show, even though Rav is being moderated. It's been a bit disheartening, having something that is usually quite light and fun weighed down with all this. I admire Stephen's quick and sensitive response to this drama. I also feel that anything can look like anything if you squint. To me this looks like a Celtic knot. I think mine is pretty, and I'll knit on through all crises. 

Linky Wednesday - the one with the drama

The drama about the Stephen West MKAL  continues, and I can't be bothered with it. It's meant to be a fun, interesting, communal knit and and that's not what this year has turned in to. Stephen has done his best in a difficult situation, but I'm just not feeling it. Meanwhile, Israel is at war, and we (as a country) are going to vote "no" on a referendum that asks for basic consideration for Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders.  So yeah, lots of turmoil here. It's very tiring. I'm knitting a sock and considering what happens next.  Luckily the reading was dramatic in a good way. I'm reading a NetGalley review copy of Last Summer at the Lake House and it's great.  Super dramatic family drama about three sisters who loose their father unexpectedly and then find out that the family has secrets. I 've nearly finished it and I don't know what I'm going  to read next. I've got a bit of a break between review books, so maybe Sta

Mussleburgh musings

I made a Mussleburgh hat earlier in the year, and even though I thought I was following the directions exactly it did not come out quite right.  It was a little bit loose. My head is 51 cm, my gauge was 7 stitches, so according to the pattern I knit the right size. It's also a little bit shorter than I would like it. Too long for a beanie, too short for a good turn-up. I couldn't work out why. I still wore it, but it was not quite right. When I decided to knit one for Elise I knew I wanted to make it longer, and tighter. After I finished Elise's (with 24 fewer stitches) I realised something about mine: Now, this is a knit tube. I know how to knit tubes. When I make sleeves or socks, they don't balloon out in the middle. So I decided to reblock it. The instructions actually specifically say to fold it inside each other after blocking, but I probably folded it and dried it on my head, because that's how I block my hats. Not this time: Now it's longer and thinner