Skip to main content

A very St Kilda long weekend

It's the Queen's Birthday long weekend. Normally I love a long weekend, but this one threatened to be a bit of a downer, since we were meant to be on a road trip to Adelaide, for (amongst other things) the Adelaide Cabaret festival. Instead we are at the tail end of the fourth lockdown, which was only two weeks, but this one was hard for me. We had no plans for this weekend, both because we were meant to be away, and because the current (rather odd) rules mean you can meet people outdoors, or in cafes/bars/restaurants, but not at home.

We got to go for lunch with my parents, which was delightful.


I was planning to knit Bee a cardigan while we were away, so she could try it on as we went. I decided to knit it anyway, and am making quite good progress. Hopefully it will fit. At the very least, this is quite a cheering colour to be knitting with.  It's got a sparkle thread  through it that doesn't really photograph, but it's really pretty.


We also went on a largely windless run down the beach. The ocean soothes my soul. I'm always so grateful  that we live a kilometre and a half from the sea.

Speaking of living in St Kilda The Secret Life of Us has just been put on NetFlix. It's a drama set and filmed in 2001, and everything happens in and around one block in St Kilda. We started watching it on Friday, and on the weekend we took ourselves on a little walking tour of area they hang out in, which is all within a couple of kilometres of our house. Fun.



I was also lucky to be reading an absorbing book - Tracy Chevalier's A Single Thread. If I had to summarise it I would say "middle aged woman moves to new town, joins craft group. Challenges and adventures follow." As someone who has made so many friendships through my knitting group, this resonated. It is quite a serious book, with relatable interesting characters. Women's fiction at it's finest.

And finally I dyed some yarn, for a cabled jumper for Leon. It was originally bright white, which he didn't want and I actually got it the very light coffee I was aiming for. Which is good, because I'm known for being heavy-handed with the dye, or dying "vibrant" colours, if you want to be kind.

So, what could have been a very sad weekend ended up being a lot of fun. I love living in St Kilda, and even thought a holiday will be nice when we can go, it was also nice having a very St Kilda long weekend. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelled wednesday and WAYRN - the one where I prepare

We are heading off for some camping and hiking and general R&R on Friday, so I'm currently in planning and preparing mode. Of course that mainly means deciding what to knit - I'm going to make the Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli. The yarn is wound and I'm ready to go. I completed Leon's Winter Set (2023) just in time, and it's currently blocking. I'm reading Georgette Hayer's Fredrica , which I am enjoying very much. Regency romance is so sweet and, unlike current romance offerings, I know it won't suddenly tumble into gynaecological territory!  For unexplained reasons, NetGalley is offering some Georgette Heyer books at the moment - (maybe it's re-release?) and I'm taking this opportunity to read a few more of them And that's my week in knitting and reading.  To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as  Sharondoublekni t and on GoodReads as  Sharondblk .  I'm joining in with Kat ...

Yarnalong - the one with the final bit of transport

Remember how I took every form of transport known to man a fortnight ago? Well, I was missing just one thing, suburban trains. But today I got to remedy that, knitting my way to Dandenong for work. Yay? My Char jumper has been knitting up ridiculously fast. It's easy, pleasant and a well written pattern. I'm reading Rachael Herron's latest book The Ones Who Matter Most . It's a good read so far, family centered fiction, easy to read but still emotionally challenging. I'm listening to Evelyn Waugh's Men At Arms . I'm enjoying it, I didn't really know what to expect, but some of it reminds me of Catch 22, in that it catalogues the absurdities of war and bureaucracy. The narrator has the perfect upper crust English accent and I'm very pleased it's the first of a trilogy.   And that's another week of reading, knitting and catching trains everywhere for me. Do pop along to Ginny's blog to see what she and the rest of the yarnalong ...

Slowly slowly

I haven’t posted about my actual knitting for a while. This might be because not much has changed since the last time I talked about my knitting. This is the edging of my Village Sweater Wrap:  The picture fails to capture how much further there is to go. I'm just past the first arm hole, so just over a third of the way through. It’s 47 stitches of relatively simple lace. I’ve been knitting it since Monday two weeks ago. It’s quite pleasant, and slowly growing but I can’t quite work out why it’s growing so slowly. One reason I know is that the first week I was knitting it during Good Beer Week, so I didn’t take it out and about with me. I knit other things, and when I’m knitting two things it makes everything feel like it takes forever. But the main reason, I think, is that this is just a slow knit for me. I love the needles I’m knitting on ( Karbonz of course) I love the yarn, I love the way the lace looks. So really, what’s the rush? I’m not going to be cold...