Skip to main content

Unravelled Wednesday and What are You Reading Monday - the one where I'm grumpy

Restrictions are lifting, but for the next week we're not allowed more than 25 kms from home, so no holiday for us. I cancelled my leave, but I'm swathing for the cardigan I was going to knit on our holiday. I'm knitting it for Bee, who was coming on the holiday, and I thought it would be good to have her there as a fit model as I knitted it. Oh well, at least it's a very cheerful colour. You can't see it in that swatch, but there is sparkle in the yarn. 

Just a note here for anyone who does not understand what is going on here, Melbourne locked down when we had 7 cases of community transition. We have no tolerance for this virus running loose in our community, so every time it gets out (and it does get out) we put it back to ground. 

I'm reading a NetGalley review copy of We Were Not Men by Cambell Mattinson. 


So far it's very good, but, being a book that starts with a collision that kills the main characters parents, and describes the crash and the emotional aftermath in detail it's not a cheerful read. I guess it matches my mood! 

To read my full reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as Sharondoubleknit and on GoodReads as Sharondblk.

I'm joining in with Kat from As Kat Knits for Unravelled Wednesday and Kat from the Bookdate for It's Monday, What Are You Reading.  Thanks Kat and Kat for hosting these linkups.  

Comments

  1. I'm with you on the grumpiness. We were supposed to go away last week but clearly that didn't happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you had to cancel your vacation plans! This nasty virus has disrupted so much. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How disappointing that your vacation was disrupted! Perhaps if more communities reacted your community does the virus wouldn't have spread as it has? We Were Not Men looks intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelled wednesday and WAYRN - the one where I prepare

We are heading off for some camping and hiking and general R&R on Friday, so I'm currently in planning and preparing mode. Of course that mainly means deciding what to knit - I'm going to make the Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli. The yarn is wound and I'm ready to go. I completed Leon's Winter Set (2023) just in time, and it's currently blocking. I'm reading Georgette Hayer's Fredrica , which I am enjoying very much. Regency romance is so sweet and, unlike current romance offerings, I know it won't suddenly tumble into gynaecological territory!  For unexplained reasons, NetGalley is offering some Georgette Heyer books at the moment - (maybe it's re-release?) and I'm taking this opportunity to read a few more of them And that's my week in knitting and reading.  To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as  Sharondoublekni t and on GoodReads as  Sharondblk .  I'm joining in with Kat ...

Yarnalong - the one with the final bit of transport

Remember how I took every form of transport known to man a fortnight ago? Well, I was missing just one thing, suburban trains. But today I got to remedy that, knitting my way to Dandenong for work. Yay? My Char jumper has been knitting up ridiculously fast. It's easy, pleasant and a well written pattern. I'm reading Rachael Herron's latest book The Ones Who Matter Most . It's a good read so far, family centered fiction, easy to read but still emotionally challenging. I'm listening to Evelyn Waugh's Men At Arms . I'm enjoying it, I didn't really know what to expect, but some of it reminds me of Catch 22, in that it catalogues the absurdities of war and bureaucracy. The narrator has the perfect upper crust English accent and I'm very pleased it's the first of a trilogy.   And that's another week of reading, knitting and catching trains everywhere for me. Do pop along to Ginny's blog to see what she and the rest of the yarnalong ...

Slowly slowly

I haven’t posted about my actual knitting for a while. This might be because not much has changed since the last time I talked about my knitting. This is the edging of my Village Sweater Wrap:  The picture fails to capture how much further there is to go. I'm just past the first arm hole, so just over a third of the way through. It’s 47 stitches of relatively simple lace. I’ve been knitting it since Monday two weeks ago. It’s quite pleasant, and slowly growing but I can’t quite work out why it’s growing so slowly. One reason I know is that the first week I was knitting it during Good Beer Week, so I didn’t take it out and about with me. I knit other things, and when I’m knitting two things it makes everything feel like it takes forever. But the main reason, I think, is that this is just a slow knit for me. I love the needles I’m knitting on ( Karbonz of course) I love the yarn, I love the way the lace looks. So really, what’s the rush? I’m not going to be cold...