Skip to main content


Showing posts from November, 2012

Chaper 91, in which I am inspired by Sonia

One of my workmates is expecting and I wanted to make her a  baby jumper. She hasn't yet told us if it's a boy or a girl and when I went through the stash I had a surprising lack of appropriate yarn. I wanted to use eight or ten ply. I had 118 grams of come Bendigo Luxury ten ply left over that I thought would the job nicely, and I was just looking for the perfect pattern to match it with.   While I was thinking about this, Sonia started knitting Debbie Bliss Ribbed Baby Jacket. Cute! And perfect for using this yarn. And I want to knit everything Sonia knits, so this is perfect.  I had to stripe the colour because I didn't have enough of the base colour. I n the end I had to find some of the same yarn in four ply to seam it, because I had used up every last bit of the yarn. At the moment I haven't put a closure on this, I'm not sure it really needs one.

Sock club socks

Last night I finished Gyokuro, the Cookie A Sock Club August pattern and yarn. This yarn is en electric green, and I probably would never have bought it, but I love it. I knitted these socks because both Ursula and Louisa (Richmond Knitters and Cookie A Sock Club members) told me this was their favourite pattern from this years club. They were right and I loved knitting these socks. 

 They were incredibly addictive, and complex enough to be fun but simple enough to knit in public. Which I did a great deal of. I actually cast these on in a bar and woke up the next day to find the first chart finished, and not full of errors. much to my relief. These socks were so much fun that I  got them finished in a week, because I just couldn't stop knitting. I wore them today and they are really comfortable too, so  I've hit the trifecta of great yarn, fun pattern, and a beautiful, useful finished object.

On the cusp of summer

I finished the jumper just before the beautiful warm weather began. I'm really happy with the fit and the shaping. The only thing is, it has quite a wide boatneck, so I'm not sure what I'm going to wear it with. When I looked back at the pictures from Knitscene , after I finished this, I noticed the model has incredibly narrow shoulders, which she is holding in a hunched position.
I made a couple of mods, I actually knit in between two sizes to get it perfect. I lengthened the sleeves to full length because I always feel a bit weird and unfinished in three quarter length sleeves, and I finished it off in a corrugated rib, to match the collar.

 I also did the hem in the pink colour - no one else will be able to see that, but it amuses me. Hopefully I will find it as useful to wear as it was fun to knit.

Stocking stitch for the win

Since my last update I've been pretty busy. Last weekend we went to Marysville for the Marysville Marathon Festival . I only did the ten k event, but it was an  wonderful day with wonderful weather. I actually didn't log on to the internet from Wednesday night to Tuesday night! All the busy hasn't slowed down the knitting though. After two pairs of cabled socks in a row I thought it was time for some stocking stitch in the round. I chose the Seberg Sweater from  from Knitscene Spring 2012 which incidentally, half the Richmond Knitters seem to be knitting things from.  I bought the yarn in Loop London on my yarn crawl with Jen, the yarn is called  Savannah and it's wonderful. 50% wool, 20% cotton, 15% linen + 15% soya which gives it the perfect feel for this transitional jumper. Knitting with hand and kettle dyed yarn has spoilt me for commercial dyed yarn. There is so much vibrancy in this fabric.  It has been a pleasure to knit and perfect for all the runni…

sOctober is over

Yesterday I finished my Kilvarock knee high socks. I basically enjoyed knitting these, although two and a half weeks of two my two rib with some cables thrown in became a bit wearing at the end. I think I'll get a lot of wear from these, they stay up better than any knee high I have made before, due to the design, which, instead of having a cuff, starts with a strip of cabled fabric knit sideways. It's an inspired idea, one I will make use of if I decide to design my own knee highs.

I did make some amendments to the pattern.
I added shaping down the back of the leg, otherwise I would have finished with an 82 stitch ankle, which really didn't seem like a good idea, I continued the pattern down the foot  as I'm most likely going to be wearing these around the house and not in shoes

and I did anatomically correct toes, since there is a definite right and left sock.