Skip to main content

And we're back from the mountains

We just got back from our holiday, and I wanted to get it all blogged about before I have to go back to normal life tomorrow.

We public transported to Halls Gap, and feel like we may be the only tourists to have every done that. Everyone else seems to hire cars and campervans or come with a tour group.

We started the trip with a three day / two night hike, which is the current 36 kilometre Grampians Peaks Trail.  It's being extended, and will eventually be 13 nights, but what is there now is pretty stunning. I'm looking forward to doing the next sections of the hike as they are released.

Just before we took this picture, at the top of Mount Rosea I was thinking about how all our camping pictures look the same - we wear the exact same clothes, and even though the places we hike are very different, I don't know that the photos look that different. 
Then my hat blew off my head and down the mountain, irretrievable. So next time I will look marginally different. 
Hat is down there somewhere
The first night of camping was in a hikers camp, where each tent was on a numbered wooden platform, to minimise impact, and also because there was no flat ground. The only problem was that we couldn't use pegs to secure out tent. You can see the front is held down by rocks. I used some of my yarn as tie downs, to keep the back of the tent secured to the platform.

After two nights we got back into Hall's Gap and had the luxury of a cabin, with an indoor shower and everything. Halls Gap is a gorgeous little town, with so many kangaroos and native birds everywhere. 

Night 2 campsite
The next day we hiked out to Pomonal, where some emu's accompanied us down the track. That blue stuff sack has my knitting in it - easy to access, if I need it in a hurry.

Taking the emus for a walk
We went to Red Rock olive farm, where we stopped for lunch - and olives. I also tried olive leaf tea. I still can't work out if I like it. and I didn't want to buy a packet of it if I'm not going to drink it, so we dropped by Skip's brothers place and got a couple of branches off his olive tree. I'm currently drying them in the oven to make tissane, so I can drink more and decide if I like it or not.

Skip and Bee picked us up at lunch, and we set up camp in our mates' back paddock. 

They have super friendly animals, including a sheep called Victor who rather enjoyed a pat. 

We spent the next two days at the Grampians Music Festival, which is a pretty laid back event, and I failed to take any photos.

Then this morning, we got up, drove and then hiked to McKenzie Falls, a stunning waterfall, and got driven back home.

The whole time, I was, of course, knit knit knitting away on Leon's scarf. This is how it looks now:

I have enough yarn for a couple more of the triangles, and then the cast off, so tonight or tomorrow. It was a good choice of project - the patterning keeps it interesting, but it is easy to memorise and obvious when things have gone wrong.

And now it's the boring but necessary part of coming back from holidays - doing the washing, cleaning the house and getting ready for a normal week of work and fun.

Comments

  1. Sounds like you had a good trip. I love the idea of those platforms but I can see how it would be impossible to tie your tent down. I've never heard of anything like that here in the US, but then again, I don't overnight hike so....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo with the emus is brilliant! What a great adventure :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geogradiant MKAL Part 1 - that was unexpected (spoilers)

Stephen West released the first MKAL clue on Thursday night. I started knitting it without looking at spoilers. When I got up on Friday he had sent through an "alternative" clue one. I then went and had a look at the spoiler thread to try to work out what was going on. Which was that some people thought the pattern looked like a "German hate symbol". I knit on anyway, since I was half-way through. Then he took down the original clue, replacing it with a mitred square in garter stitch. The Ravelry forums and Instagram are a complete shit-show, even though Rav is being moderated. It's been a bit disheartening, having something that is usually quite light and fun weighed down with all this. I admire Stephen's quick and sensitive response to this drama. I also feel that anything can look like anything if you squint. To me this looks like a Celtic knot. I think mine is pretty, and I'll knit on through all crises. 

Linky Wednesday - the one with the drama

The drama about the Stephen West MKAL  continues, and I can't be bothered with it. It's meant to be a fun, interesting, communal knit and and that's not what this year has turned in to. Stephen has done his best in a difficult situation, but I'm just not feeling it. Meanwhile, Israel is at war, and we (as a country) are going to vote "no" on a referendum that asks for basic consideration for Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders.  So yeah, lots of turmoil here. It's very tiring. I'm knitting a sock and considering what happens next.  Luckily the reading was dramatic in a good way. I'm reading a NetGalley review copy of Last Summer at the Lake House and it's great.  Super dramatic family drama about three sisters who loose their father unexpectedly and then find out that the family has secrets. I 've nearly finished it and I don't know what I'm going  to read next. I've got a bit of a break between review books, so maybe Sta

Mussleburgh musings

I made a Mussleburgh hat earlier in the year, and even though I thought I was following the directions exactly it did not come out quite right.  It was a little bit loose. My head is 51 cm, my gauge was 7 stitches, so according to the pattern I knit the right size. It's also a little bit shorter than I would like it. Too long for a beanie, too short for a good turn-up. I couldn't work out why. I still wore it, but it was not quite right. When I decided to knit one for Elise I knew I wanted to make it longer, and tighter. After I finished Elise's (with 24 fewer stitches) I realised something about mine: Now, this is a knit tube. I know how to knit tubes. When I make sleeves or socks, they don't balloon out in the middle. So I decided to reblock it. The instructions actually specifically say to fold it inside each other after blocking, but I probably folded it and dried it on my head, because that's how I block my hats. Not this time: Now it's longer and thinner