Skip to main content

Unravelled Wednesday and What are You Reading Monday - the one were lockie D coninues

The cool kids are now referring to lockdown as "locky D" because we needed a nickname for this shit situation. Melbourne has just passed London as the city with the most days locked down (204 and counting) as well as one of the harshest. They brought back the curfew last week. Anyway, I am going for a ride with my father after work - we live in the same 5kms and it's allowable to exercise with one other person not from your household. As you can imagine, we are all very tired.

Which brings me to the NetGalley review book I started yesterday Reasons for Avoiding Friends by Megan Leaval.   

It is awful. The plot focusses on two women in their late 30s who were friends at school. One has moved back to where they grew up and has 4 kids and an out-of work husband. Gwen's husband hasn't actually been home since I started the book, she hates her mother but speaks to her every day, and is upset that her kids are growing up. The other character Iris  is a trophy-wife in New York. Her husband is having an affair with her best friend, her step-kids are nasty and the hired help is out to get her. It's all very negative, gossipy and unpleasant. There is SO much internalised fat shaming and diet talk. Every page. And the women are all in competition with each other. Oh and there is an MLM plot. I'm a quarter in, and I am just not interested in going on with this book. What should I read next?

The knitting is going well - I've almost finished the final sleeve on my Diaphanous Raglan. They look really long here, but when worn they balloon out magnificently. It's been a fun knit, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it looks after blocking. 

I've also almost finished spinning the singles for the contrast colour of Waiting for Rain, so it will ready for plying on the weekend. I've just got that little bit of fluff left to go.

To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as Sharondoubleknit and on GoodReads as Sharondblk.

I'm joining in with Kat from As Kat Knits for Unravelled Wednesday and Kat from the Bookdate for It's Monday, What Are You Reading.  Thanks Kat and Kat for hosting these linkups. 


Comments

  1. I am a spinner in my head, but I just don’t have the space and time in my life yet. Maybe when our kids are older.

    That book sounds miserable. If you are looking for light fiction, one of my favorite guilty pleasure books is called _There’s a slight chance I’m going to hell_. I have been reading one serious book about Gertrude Bell, and a lot of light, happy little murders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mercy. That is a long time to be locked down although I wish our governor would follow the science instead of going for political gain. Anyway, your spinning looks so pretty. Ditto for the knitting. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, but it wasn't continuous. We got breaks!

      Delete
  3. Victoria has definitely been doing it tough, but I prefer Andrews approach than Gladys. We are only in week 3 of lockdown since I’m in northern regional NSW, so far our LGA has been Covid free but through luck rather than good management!
    I don’t have patience for negativity right now. I found The Garden of Hopes and Dreams by Barbara Hannay to be an uplifting read.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That book sounds uplifting, and I'll be reading it next. I do like Andrew's approach, it's just a hard time. I've had exposure sites at both ends of my street this week :(

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you should read anything other than that book!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spin also, however my knitting is not up to saying I really knit, so I just have bunches of spun wool haning about LOL

    Here is my link:
    https://twogirlsandtheirbookishlife.blogspot.com/2021/08/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-august.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry that your lockdown is so strict. I'm also sorry the book you are reading is disappointing. I would have given up on it. I'm much quicker to mark a book DNF than I used to be. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geogradiant MKAL Part 1 - that was unexpected (spoilers)

Stephen West released the first MKAL clue on Thursday night. I started knitting it without looking at spoilers. When I got up on Friday he had sent through an "alternative" clue one. I then went and had a look at the spoiler thread to try to work out what was going on. Which was that some people thought the pattern looked like a "German hate symbol". I knit on anyway, since I was half-way through. Then he took down the original clue, replacing it with a mitred square in garter stitch. The Ravelry forums and Instagram are a complete shit-show, even though Rav is being moderated. It's been a bit disheartening, having something that is usually quite light and fun weighed down with all this. I admire Stephen's quick and sensitive response to this drama. I also feel that anything can look like anything if you squint. To me this looks like a Celtic knot. I think mine is pretty, and I'll knit on through all crises. 

Linky Wednesday - the one with the drama

The drama about the Stephen West MKAL  continues, and I can't be bothered with it. It's meant to be a fun, interesting, communal knit and and that's not what this year has turned in to. Stephen has done his best in a difficult situation, but I'm just not feeling it. Meanwhile, Israel is at war, and we (as a country) are going to vote "no" on a referendum that asks for basic consideration for Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders.  So yeah, lots of turmoil here. It's very tiring. I'm knitting a sock and considering what happens next.  Luckily the reading was dramatic in a good way. I'm reading a NetGalley review copy of Last Summer at the Lake House and it's great.  Super dramatic family drama about three sisters who loose their father unexpectedly and then find out that the family has secrets. I 've nearly finished it and I don't know what I'm going  to read next. I've got a bit of a break between review books, so maybe Sta

Mussleburgh musings

I made a Mussleburgh hat earlier in the year, and even though I thought I was following the directions exactly it did not come out quite right.  It was a little bit loose. My head is 51 cm, my gauge was 7 stitches, so according to the pattern I knit the right size. It's also a little bit shorter than I would like it. Too long for a beanie, too short for a good turn-up. I couldn't work out why. I still wore it, but it was not quite right. When I decided to knit one for Elise I knew I wanted to make it longer, and tighter. After I finished Elise's (with 24 fewer stitches) I realised something about mine: Now, this is a knit tube. I know how to knit tubes. When I make sleeves or socks, they don't balloon out in the middle. So I decided to reblock it. The instructions actually specifically say to fold it inside each other after blocking, but I probably folded it and dried it on my head, because that's how I block my hats. Not this time: Now it's longer and thinner