Skip to main content

Linky Wednesday - the one where we return to normal

 After a few fun weeks of travel, time off and craft retreats normal life has resumed. And while I would rather have free time than have to work for a living there are compensations, like earning money to pay for all those fun things! And tonight I return to Pole after a break due to injury and holidays. 

Of course, while I was doing all those fun things I was also knitting, spinning and reading.

On return from the spinning retreat I was eager to start my next project - I'm spinning up 200 grams of this gorgeous fibre as a heavy laceweight, aiming for about a thousand metres. 

I've just finished the cardigan I cast on exactly four weeks ago the Hoodie Shawl Cardigan

It didn't actually take me a month to knit, I took a pair of socks away with me as a more portable project. I will be back with blocked and modelled photos on Friday.

I have swatched for my next project - a fluffy dress. I don't swatch if it's a type of yarn I'm familiar with, but I wanted to know how this mohair held with poltulopi (unspun iceland wool) would feel. It led me into a stressful place where the stitch count might, or might not have been at gauge, as the swatch got bigger as I got further from the cast on!

In reading there have been some hits and misses. I'm listening to Dead Beat (Ninth House Trilogy, #3) by Leigh Bardugo It's the third book in the series, and it's been such a good series - it just goes from strength to strength. We've just started daylight savings, and sitting on my balcony, spinning and listening to this after work is my favourite thing to do after work.

In eye reading I finished Engineering a Love Story by Kathleen Reidy* which I didn't really like - when I'm reading a romance and I hope the couple doesn't get together it's never a good time!

Now I'm reading The Shadow of the Gods (The Bloodsworn Saga, #1) by John Gwynne, a Norse style fantasy, which has lots of fighting and lots of fibre details - it's noted that the belt was tablet woven, the hats are nalbinding and so on. 

Next up, presuming it comes in, is a library copy of Ann Patchett's Whistler. If I have time in between I'll read Encore Performance: An 831 Stories Romance by Leila Sales 

As usual, all books marked with an * are digital review copies, provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as Sharondoubleknit and on GoodReads as Sharondblk. I'm on BlueSky as Sharondblk.

I'm linking up with Kat from As Kat Knits for Unravelled Wednesday, Kat from the Bookdate for It's Monday, What Are You Reading and Sam from Taking on a World of Words for WWW Wednesday where we talk about what we are currently reading, what we have just finished and what we are going to read next.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelled wednesday and WAYRN - the one where I prepare

We are heading off for some camping and hiking and general R&R on Friday, so I'm currently in planning and preparing mode. Of course that mainly means deciding what to knit - I'm going to make the Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli. The yarn is wound and I'm ready to go. I completed Leon's Winter Set (2023) just in time, and it's currently blocking. I'm reading Georgette Hayer's Fredrica , which I am enjoying very much. Regency romance is so sweet and, unlike current romance offerings, I know it won't suddenly tumble into gynaecological territory!  For unexplained reasons, NetGalley is offering some Georgette Heyer books at the moment - (maybe it's re-release?) and I'm taking this opportunity to read a few more of them And that's my week in knitting and reading.  To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as  Sharondoublekni t and on GoodReads as  Sharondblk .  I'm joining in with Kat ...

Yarnalong - the one with the final bit of transport

Remember how I took every form of transport known to man a fortnight ago? Well, I was missing just one thing, suburban trains. But today I got to remedy that, knitting my way to Dandenong for work. Yay? My Char jumper has been knitting up ridiculously fast. It's easy, pleasant and a well written pattern. I'm reading Rachael Herron's latest book The Ones Who Matter Most . It's a good read so far, family centered fiction, easy to read but still emotionally challenging. I'm listening to Evelyn Waugh's Men At Arms . I'm enjoying it, I didn't really know what to expect, but some of it reminds me of Catch 22, in that it catalogues the absurdities of war and bureaucracy. The narrator has the perfect upper crust English accent and I'm very pleased it's the first of a trilogy.   And that's another week of reading, knitting and catching trains everywhere for me. Do pop along to Ginny's blog to see what she and the rest of the yarnalong ...

Slowly slowly

I haven’t posted about my actual knitting for a while. This might be because not much has changed since the last time I talked about my knitting. This is the edging of my Village Sweater Wrap:  The picture fails to capture how much further there is to go. I'm just past the first arm hole, so just over a third of the way through. It’s 47 stitches of relatively simple lace. I’ve been knitting it since Monday two weeks ago. It’s quite pleasant, and slowly growing but I can’t quite work out why it’s growing so slowly. One reason I know is that the first week I was knitting it during Good Beer Week, so I didn’t take it out and about with me. I knit other things, and when I’m knitting two things it makes everything feel like it takes forever. But the main reason, I think, is that this is just a slow knit for me. I love the needles I’m knitting on ( Karbonz of course) I love the yarn, I love the way the lace looks. So really, what’s the rush? I’m not going to be cold...