Skip to main content

Back from Tasmania



Leon and I had a lovely time in Hobart. We did the things that you do, Mona and Cadbury and the Salamanca Markets and Lark Distillery and had a great time. But I know it's not a tourist report you are after, it's an update on the crafty things I made, and bought.

From the Spindle Tree in Salamanca Place I bought a needle holder made of Sassafrass. It holds a darning needle. No more looking around for it in the bottom of my bag. Also, it is stunningly beautiful and I'm going through an "I love wood" stage.
You can't tell from this picture, but it's about the size of my ring finger.

I also bought one skein of sock wool from the Spindle Tree, because it is so pretty.

While we were doing all the tourist things I knit on Leon's cable and rib sock. I cast it on on the tram on the way to the bus to the airport and finished the second sock on our last morning there, which meant I could take photos in our favourite place, the Lark Distillery.
So, it turns out I can knit a pair of socks in under a week. On the tram for the final part of our journey home a woman opposite me was knitting, and I just had to sit there and watch, because I had, for the first time every, run out of knitting. I came home and immediately cast on a new pair of socks.

Comments

  1. i TOLD you. also, did you get me chocolate? dammit, i should have given you a shopping list :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed you! Welcome back :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelled wednesday and WAYRN - the one where I prepare

We are heading off for some camping and hiking and general R&R on Friday, so I'm currently in planning and preparing mode. Of course that mainly means deciding what to knit - I'm going to make the Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli. The yarn is wound and I'm ready to go. I completed Leon's Winter Set (2023) just in time, and it's currently blocking. I'm reading Georgette Hayer's Fredrica , which I am enjoying very much. Regency romance is so sweet and, unlike current romance offerings, I know it won't suddenly tumble into gynaecological territory!  For unexplained reasons, NetGalley is offering some Georgette Heyer books at the moment - (maybe it's re-release?) and I'm taking this opportunity to read a few more of them And that's my week in knitting and reading.  To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as  Sharondoublekni t and on GoodReads as  Sharondblk .  I'm joining in with Kat ...

Yarnalong - the one with the final bit of transport

Remember how I took every form of transport known to man a fortnight ago? Well, I was missing just one thing, suburban trains. But today I got to remedy that, knitting my way to Dandenong for work. Yay? My Char jumper has been knitting up ridiculously fast. It's easy, pleasant and a well written pattern. I'm reading Rachael Herron's latest book The Ones Who Matter Most . It's a good read so far, family centered fiction, easy to read but still emotionally challenging. I'm listening to Evelyn Waugh's Men At Arms . I'm enjoying it, I didn't really know what to expect, but some of it reminds me of Catch 22, in that it catalogues the absurdities of war and bureaucracy. The narrator has the perfect upper crust English accent and I'm very pleased it's the first of a trilogy.   And that's another week of reading, knitting and catching trains everywhere for me. Do pop along to Ginny's blog to see what she and the rest of the yarnalong ...

Slowly slowly

I haven’t posted about my actual knitting for a while. This might be because not much has changed since the last time I talked about my knitting. This is the edging of my Village Sweater Wrap:  The picture fails to capture how much further there is to go. I'm just past the first arm hole, so just over a third of the way through. It’s 47 stitches of relatively simple lace. I’ve been knitting it since Monday two weeks ago. It’s quite pleasant, and slowly growing but I can’t quite work out why it’s growing so slowly. One reason I know is that the first week I was knitting it during Good Beer Week, so I didn’t take it out and about with me. I knit other things, and when I’m knitting two things it makes everything feel like it takes forever. But the main reason, I think, is that this is just a slow knit for me. I love the needles I’m knitting on ( Karbonz of course) I love the yarn, I love the way the lace looks. So really, what’s the rush? I’m not going to be cold...