Skip to main content

FO Friday - Sleeve Island



I finished Sleeve Island! There were some things I really liked about this jumper, some I was really unimpressed with and some I'm withholding judgement about.


Lets start with the positive:

1) This was a really fun knit. The colourwork was easy and the instructions were clear.
2) I dyed the yarn myself. I love the colours and it is warm and furry and lovely to work with.

3) I like the length. I thought it might end up super cropped, and while it is short, its not too short. 
4) Even though it took 3 weeks, it felt like a quick knit, because it was so much fun.


I've been doing Curly Girl, and how good is my hair!
The not-so-good:

  1. I shortened each arm by 10 centimetres and still nearly ran out of yarn, even though I started with the exact yardage the pattern called for and was knitting precisely to gauge. I don't know why.
  2. I would have run out of yarn if I hadn't shortened the arms, I chose 10 centimetres shorter based on my measurements, and it was just a smidge too short. I had just enough yarn left to put cuffs corrugated ribbing cuffs on, so that worked out.
  3. I don't know why this wasn't written with an i-cord or provisional cast on for the first sleeve to match the cast-off. It makes no sense, although picking up the stitches wasn't difficult.
  4. I added some neckline shaping, which was simple to do. I'm glad I added something, or it would have cut straight across the middle of my neck. I could have gone deeper. I guess Kate didn't put it in the pattern to keep it simple, but it seemed important to me.

The finished object looks like I thought it would, but good, if you see what I mean.  I may end up wearing it all the time, or it may have been a fun project to keep me busy during a difficult time. I'll know in a couple of months which it was. I love the colours and the yarn so, so much. I want to match matching tights, and just run around the house all winter wrapped in teal yarn! 

Comments

  1. Well, I love it! The colour is divine and it really suits you. I love coloured tights. I have just put in my Snag Tights order for all the colours! I bought the teal last year and they are the exact same colour as your jumper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely finished sweater! I like the shape and fit of it and the color is fun for Summer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geogradiant MKAL Part 1 - that was unexpected (spoilers)

Stephen West released the first MKAL clue on Thursday night. I started knitting it without looking at spoilers. When I got up on Friday he had sent through an "alternative" clue one. I then went and had a look at the spoiler thread to try to work out what was going on. Which was that some people thought the pattern looked like a "German hate symbol". I knit on anyway, since I was half-way through. Then he took down the original clue, replacing it with a mitred square in garter stitch. The Ravelry forums and Instagram are a complete shit-show, even though Rav is being moderated. It's been a bit disheartening, having something that is usually quite light and fun weighed down with all this. I admire Stephen's quick and sensitive response to this drama. I also feel that anything can look like anything if you squint. To me this looks like a Celtic knot. I think mine is pretty, and I'll knit on through all crises. 

Linky Wednesday - the one with the drama

The drama about the Stephen West MKAL  continues, and I can't be bothered with it. It's meant to be a fun, interesting, communal knit and and that's not what this year has turned in to. Stephen has done his best in a difficult situation, but I'm just not feeling it. Meanwhile, Israel is at war, and we (as a country) are going to vote "no" on a referendum that asks for basic consideration for Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders.  So yeah, lots of turmoil here. It's very tiring. I'm knitting a sock and considering what happens next.  Luckily the reading was dramatic in a good way. I'm reading a NetGalley review copy of Last Summer at the Lake House and it's great.  Super dramatic family drama about three sisters who loose their father unexpectedly and then find out that the family has secrets. I 've nearly finished it and I don't know what I'm going  to read next. I've got a bit of a break between review books, so maybe Sta

Mussleburgh musings

I made a Mussleburgh hat earlier in the year, and even though I thought I was following the directions exactly it did not come out quite right.  It was a little bit loose. My head is 51 cm, my gauge was 7 stitches, so according to the pattern I knit the right size. It's also a little bit shorter than I would like it. Too long for a beanie, too short for a good turn-up. I couldn't work out why. I still wore it, but it was not quite right. When I decided to knit one for Elise I knew I wanted to make it longer, and tighter. After I finished Elise's (with 24 fewer stitches) I realised something about mine: Now, this is a knit tube. I know how to knit tubes. When I make sleeves or socks, they don't balloon out in the middle. So I decided to reblock it. The instructions actually specifically say to fold it inside each other after blocking, but I probably folded it and dried it on my head, because that's how I block my hats. Not this time: Now it's longer and thinner