Skip to main content

Unravelled and What are you reading - the one with all the books

I am generally a monogamous reader, who has at most - one audio-book and one text book at a time. This week though  I've got three books, all in different categories - and of course a knitting project too.  

1) Non-fiction - Last week I wrote about meditating. Like many people I started with the Headspace App, and now I use Insight Timer to support my practice. I have also done a couple of mindfulness courses through Coursera. So I was happy to receive a free review copy  of Sitting Comfortably by Swami Saradananda from NetGalley, as the premise of the book is that being physically uncomfortable can prevent people from meditating, and this book attempts to address that issue. I have mixed feelings about this book - it is very clear and well set out. It runs through how one should sit, and how one can prepare for this. It has clear illustrations. My main issue is I'm not sure who this book is for. The author worries that being physically uncomfortable is a barrier for sitting, but for me it would be strict standards about having to sit completely upright, or in a completely quiet place, including blocking out the sound of traffic in my house. trust me, if I can sleep through it, and live in that noise, I should be able to meditate in it. It also irritated me how concerned she was about falling asleep, down to the idea that we shouldn't support our backs while meditating because we might fall asleep. I can barely fall asleep lying down, in the dark with my eyes closed. I don't have an issue with accidentally falling asleep. Ever. So the little things bothered me,  but this book might be a good next step for a casual meditator who wants to take their practice up a notch.  I'm not sure that's me. 

2) Eye-read - I'm FINALLY reading All Our Shimmering Stars by Trent Dalton. Leon read it and loved it, and I tried to start it when we were in Queensland in January. I was, at the time, having trouble settling in to any book. I picked it back up this week, and while it is a challenging read, it is definitely rewarding. 

3) Audio-book - I saw on Will Weaton's blog that an audio book he narrated had just been released, Vicarious by Rhett C Bruno so I bought it. The premise is a bit like the Truman Show, but set in the future. I haven't got very far through it, but I am enjoying the dual narrative, Will's voice and the plot definitely has my interest.

And look at those covers. Three very pretty winners.

I am still knitting Winter's Beach. I've got the left front  and the sleeves to go. And the pockets, those all important pockets! I am still enjoying it, it's a very soothing knit, even if I do keep loosing my place, despite using marker tape on the chart. 

And that's what I've been up to this week. I'm joining in with Kat from As Kat Knits for Unravelled Wednesday and Kat from the Bookdate for It's Monday, What Are You Reading.  Thanks Kat and Kat for hosting these linkups. 


Comments

  1. I love the look of All Our Shimmering Skies. Enjoy your week, and here are my WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I wish I could drop off as easily as the yogi seems to think is possible,
    I’ve yet to read All Our Shimmering Skies.

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice variety of books. I haven't yet chosen an audiobook because of the narrator. I am curious about Wil Wheaton though. I remember him from Star Trek. I can see why a concern about falling asleep would put you off a book. I don't fall asleep that easily either. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite the variety -- I found myself juggling three books recently as well. I think the audiobook sounds interesting. I've been in podcast land as of late, but may circle back to audiobooks soon. It always seems to be a cycle for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geogradiant MKAL Part 1 - that was unexpected (spoilers)

Stephen West released the first MKAL clue on Thursday night. I started knitting it without looking at spoilers. When I got up on Friday he had sent through an "alternative" clue one. I then went and had a look at the spoiler thread to try to work out what was going on. Which was that some people thought the pattern looked like a "German hate symbol". I knit on anyway, since I was half-way through. Then he took down the original clue, replacing it with a mitred square in garter stitch. The Ravelry forums and Instagram are a complete shit-show, even though Rav is being moderated. It's been a bit disheartening, having something that is usually quite light and fun weighed down with all this. I admire Stephen's quick and sensitive response to this drama. I also feel that anything can look like anything if you squint. To me this looks like a Celtic knot. I think mine is pretty, and I'll knit on through all crises. 

Linky Wednesday - the one with the drama

The drama about the Stephen West MKAL  continues, and I can't be bothered with it. It's meant to be a fun, interesting, communal knit and and that's not what this year has turned in to. Stephen has done his best in a difficult situation, but I'm just not feeling it. Meanwhile, Israel is at war, and we (as a country) are going to vote "no" on a referendum that asks for basic consideration for Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders.  So yeah, lots of turmoil here. It's very tiring. I'm knitting a sock and considering what happens next.  Luckily the reading was dramatic in a good way. I'm reading a NetGalley review copy of Last Summer at the Lake House and it's great.  Super dramatic family drama about three sisters who loose their father unexpectedly and then find out that the family has secrets. I 've nearly finished it and I don't know what I'm going  to read next. I've got a bit of a break between review books, so maybe Sta

Mussleburgh musings

I made a Mussleburgh hat earlier in the year, and even though I thought I was following the directions exactly it did not come out quite right.  It was a little bit loose. My head is 51 cm, my gauge was 7 stitches, so according to the pattern I knit the right size. It's also a little bit shorter than I would like it. Too long for a beanie, too short for a good turn-up. I couldn't work out why. I still wore it, but it was not quite right. When I decided to knit one for Elise I knew I wanted to make it longer, and tighter. After I finished Elise's (with 24 fewer stitches) I realised something about mine: Now, this is a knit tube. I know how to knit tubes. When I make sleeves or socks, they don't balloon out in the middle. So I decided to reblock it. The instructions actually specifically say to fold it inside each other after blocking, but I probably folded it and dried it on my head, because that's how I block my hats. Not this time: Now it's longer and thinner