Skip to main content

Weekending - and a very festive one it was

There is an event called PoO (Pint of Origin) that is normally part of Good Beer Week, but this year is running the week before. Basially a number of pubs  are each allocated a place, and serve beer from that place. Originally it was different States but has broadened to include other countries and regional areas.

On Friday night we started at The Catfish (New Zealand) and then went to Bonnie (Melbourne) and Near or Far (Brisbane). Elise had just come back from her trip and we had a merry crew.

Saturday morning was Coburg Yarn festival. I had not bought or received any yarn since Christmas (not that i get Christmas presents, but Danni's Christmas yarn was the last yarn I bought), then the Richmond Knitters went out for lunch. I'm working on my photography skills, it's hard to take pictures of groups around a table!

I bought some buttons, and yarn for 2 jumpers. The buttons I had on my old romance are too small and don't keep it shut. Now I have to sew buttons on again.

 As planned I bought yarn for Leon's Humulus jumper and cast on. we went to three pubs on Saturday afternoon (Regional NSW, Sydney and Japan). 

I got most of the first sleeve knit.

   

On Sunday we played disc golf and went to Canada.

 What an all round satisfying weekend. Four of my favourite things - friends, beer, yarn and disc-golf in the sunshine.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Geogradiant MKAL Part 1 - that was unexpected (spoilers)

Stephen West released the first MKAL clue on Thursday night. I started knitting it without looking at spoilers. When I got up on Friday he had sent through an "alternative" clue one. I then went and had a look at the spoiler thread to try to work out what was going on. Which was that some people thought the pattern looked like a "German hate symbol". I knit on anyway, since I was half-way through. Then he took down the original clue, replacing it with a mitred square in garter stitch. The Ravelry forums and Instagram are a complete shit-show, even though Rav is being moderated. It's been a bit disheartening, having something that is usually quite light and fun weighed down with all this. I admire Stephen's quick and sensitive response to this drama. I also feel that anything can look like anything if you squint. To me this looks like a Celtic knot. I think mine is pretty, and I'll knit on through all crises. 

Linky Wednesday - the one with the drama

The drama about the Stephen West MKAL  continues, and I can't be bothered with it. It's meant to be a fun, interesting, communal knit and and that's not what this year has turned in to. Stephen has done his best in a difficult situation, but I'm just not feeling it. Meanwhile, Israel is at war, and we (as a country) are going to vote "no" on a referendum that asks for basic consideration for Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders.  So yeah, lots of turmoil here. It's very tiring. I'm knitting a sock and considering what happens next.  Luckily the reading was dramatic in a good way. I'm reading a NetGalley review copy of Last Summer at the Lake House and it's great.  Super dramatic family drama about three sisters who loose their father unexpectedly and then find out that the family has secrets. I 've nearly finished it and I don't know what I'm going  to read next. I've got a bit of a break between review books, so maybe Sta

Mussleburgh musings

I made a Mussleburgh hat earlier in the year, and even though I thought I was following the directions exactly it did not come out quite right.  It was a little bit loose. My head is 51 cm, my gauge was 7 stitches, so according to the pattern I knit the right size. It's also a little bit shorter than I would like it. Too long for a beanie, too short for a good turn-up. I couldn't work out why. I still wore it, but it was not quite right. When I decided to knit one for Elise I knew I wanted to make it longer, and tighter. After I finished Elise's (with 24 fewer stitches) I realised something about mine: Now, this is a knit tube. I know how to knit tubes. When I make sleeves or socks, they don't balloon out in the middle. So I decided to reblock it. The instructions actually specifically say to fold it inside each other after blocking, but I probably folded it and dried it on my head, because that's how I block my hats. Not this time: Now it's longer and thinner