Skip to main content

Unravelled Wednesday - the one with the mistakes

Last week I finished the horror novel Tapeworm* by A.P. Thayer. It was very good - I went for lunch at work and didn't come back until it was finished - an hour and a quarter later. Oops, body horror can't be left in suspense. Then, aas predicted I read Never Lasting* by Angela Bourassa . It's an 831Stories Romance, and I usually quite like these, but I hated it. Insta love, a main couple that I didn't want to get together, not ideal. I said that my next book Thoughts Be Bloody* by Auden Patrick was a horror - it's not, it's a Hamlet retelling with magic. It's not due until next month, so I decided to read the oldest book on my Kobo The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store by James McBride .

It's good, but is not a fast read. It's got heavy themes - race, sexual assault, privilege, poverty. After I finish this, it's on to the next oldest book Enemies with Benefits by Roxie Noir. It's the first of a romance series that I got for free ages ago. Hopefully I will feel more romantic about it than I did about my previous attempt at reading romance!

The other mistake was with the knitting. I was working away on this dress, and I figured I was pretty much done. I tried it on for length and discovered that, despite being the same dye lot, the balls are not the same colour and it's obvious.

I'm finishing it anyway, but I don't know what I'm going to do about it. Also it clearly needs a slip underneath, and I don't know if I'm ever going to wear it anyway, since it's stripy. Annoying.

As usual, all books marked with an * are digital review copies, provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as Sharondoubleknit and on GoodReads as Sharondblk. I'm on BlueSky as Sharondblk.

I'm linking up with Kat from As Kat Knits for Unravelled Wednesday, Kat from the Bookdate for It's Monday, What Are You Reading and Sam from Taking on a World of Words for WWW Wednesday where we talk about what we are currently reading, what we have just finished and what we are going to read next.  

Comments

  1. Too bad about the dress. It looks great on you. Not sure I am up for a book with heavy themes lately. Thanks for sharing.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2026/08/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that Heaven and Earth Grocery Store on my TBR list. Not sure when I will get to it! ONe day!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oof, that's a shame about the colour change! Because it's a fairly regular block, it might pass as deliberate...? But I know it'd bother me if it were mine. I'd probably frog it back past that bit and get more yarn to finish it all in one colour, even though it'd be annoying to lose so much progress. Whatever you do, I hope you find something you're happy with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite the color change, it is a nice looking dress. I'm sorry you were disappointed. Your books sound interesting. I've not read any of them. Come see my week here. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelled wednesday and WAYRN - the one where I prepare

We are heading off for some camping and hiking and general R&R on Friday, so I'm currently in planning and preparing mode. Of course that mainly means deciding what to knit - I'm going to make the Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli. The yarn is wound and I'm ready to go. I completed Leon's Winter Set (2023) just in time, and it's currently blocking. I'm reading Georgette Hayer's Fredrica , which I am enjoying very much. Regency romance is so sweet and, unlike current romance offerings, I know it won't suddenly tumble into gynaecological territory!  For unexplained reasons, NetGalley is offering some Georgette Heyer books at the moment - (maybe it's re-release?) and I'm taking this opportunity to read a few more of them And that's my week in knitting and reading.  To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as  Sharondoublekni t and on GoodReads as  Sharondblk .  I'm joining in with Kat ...

Yarnalong - the one with the final bit of transport

Remember how I took every form of transport known to man a fortnight ago? Well, I was missing just one thing, suburban trains. But today I got to remedy that, knitting my way to Dandenong for work. Yay? My Char jumper has been knitting up ridiculously fast. It's easy, pleasant and a well written pattern. I'm reading Rachael Herron's latest book The Ones Who Matter Most . It's a good read so far, family centered fiction, easy to read but still emotionally challenging. I'm listening to Evelyn Waugh's Men At Arms . I'm enjoying it, I didn't really know what to expect, but some of it reminds me of Catch 22, in that it catalogues the absurdities of war and bureaucracy. The narrator has the perfect upper crust English accent and I'm very pleased it's the first of a trilogy.   And that's another week of reading, knitting and catching trains everywhere for me. Do pop along to Ginny's blog to see what she and the rest of the yarnalong ...

Slowly slowly

I haven’t posted about my actual knitting for a while. This might be because not much has changed since the last time I talked about my knitting. This is the edging of my Village Sweater Wrap:  The picture fails to capture how much further there is to go. I'm just past the first arm hole, so just over a third of the way through. It’s 47 stitches of relatively simple lace. I’ve been knitting it since Monday two weeks ago. It’s quite pleasant, and slowly growing but I can’t quite work out why it’s growing so slowly. One reason I know is that the first week I was knitting it during Good Beer Week, so I didn’t take it out and about with me. I knit other things, and when I’m knitting two things it makes everything feel like it takes forever. But the main reason, I think, is that this is just a slow knit for me. I love the needles I’m knitting on ( Karbonz of course) I love the yarn, I love the way the lace looks. So really, what’s the rush? I’m not going to be cold...