I often don't swatch. I cast on with a fair idea of my yarn and usual knitting style. If it doesn't work out, I stop and reassess. On Tuesday I cast on for Alpine Bloom pattern by Caitlin Hunter which I was intending to extend into a dress with a full skirt. It was apparent pretty early that, while I had gauge, my fabric was going to be too loose to make a dress that was decent. After googling slips and finding pout I could buy one at K-Mart, I stepped back and started swatching.
I started with doubling the yarn on 3.5 mm needles, which made a nice fabric, but a bit thick. Then I went down to a 3mm needle, which makes a lovely, but slightly airy fabric. Back up to a 3.5 for comparison and that was immediately way too stretchy and flexible.
I ripped what I had started and cast on again with smaller needles.The second attempt has been much more satisfying.
The colourwork is soothing, the contrast colour is slowly changing from pastel to pastel shade and the fabric is just right. After I divide for the underarms I'll have to do the maths to work out my waist decreases and skirt increases, but that's a problem for another day.

Comments
Post a Comment