Skip to main content

Finished Object Friday - Hoodie Shawl Cardigan

I first queued the Ravelry: Hoodie Shawl Cardigan on 10 September 2025, bought the yarn at Bendigo in July 2026 and finally cast it on on 10 September 2026, exactly a year after I decided to make it.

I cast it on with the idea of taking it on holidays to Brisbane and then craft camp. At the beginning it was the perfect project to have with me - simple and entertaining at the same time and small enough to throw in my favourite handbag (the Mini Tote from Bon Maxie ). It knit up faster than I expected, and, by the time I was off to craft camp I only had one sleeve left, so I left it at home. I was quite please to be reunited and finish that last sleeve. 

There are no dramatic stories of knitting this - it was simple and satisfying.

If I did it again I might slightly reduce the pick up rate on the front bands. The rate is 1 to 1, which gives a loose, floppy unstructured look. I might like it even more if it was a bit less wavy.

I also did the bottom band in garter rather than reverse stocking stitch, since I had done plenty of purling already, thank you very much.

The most surprising thing is how comfortable this is. I've knit plenty of cardigans in sock yarn, at a similar gauge but this one hugs the shoulders and stays put. Even the sleeves are extra comfortable. I can't explain it, but I like it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelled wednesday and WAYRN - the one where I prepare

We are heading off for some camping and hiking and general R&R on Friday, so I'm currently in planning and preparing mode. Of course that mainly means deciding what to knit - I'm going to make the Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli. The yarn is wound and I'm ready to go. I completed Leon's Winter Set (2023) just in time, and it's currently blocking. I'm reading Georgette Hayer's Fredrica , which I am enjoying very much. Regency romance is so sweet and, unlike current romance offerings, I know it won't suddenly tumble into gynaecological territory!  For unexplained reasons, NetGalley is offering some Georgette Heyer books at the moment - (maybe it's re-release?) and I'm taking this opportunity to read a few more of them And that's my week in knitting and reading.  To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as  Sharondoublekni t and on GoodReads as  Sharondblk .  I'm joining in with Kat ...

Yarnalong - the one with the final bit of transport

Remember how I took every form of transport known to man a fortnight ago? Well, I was missing just one thing, suburban trains. But today I got to remedy that, knitting my way to Dandenong for work. Yay? My Char jumper has been knitting up ridiculously fast. It's easy, pleasant and a well written pattern. I'm reading Rachael Herron's latest book The Ones Who Matter Most . It's a good read so far, family centered fiction, easy to read but still emotionally challenging. I'm listening to Evelyn Waugh's Men At Arms . I'm enjoying it, I didn't really know what to expect, but some of it reminds me of Catch 22, in that it catalogues the absurdities of war and bureaucracy. The narrator has the perfect upper crust English accent and I'm very pleased it's the first of a trilogy.   And that's another week of reading, knitting and catching trains everywhere for me. Do pop along to Ginny's blog to see what she and the rest of the yarnalong ...

Slowly slowly

I haven’t posted about my actual knitting for a while. This might be because not much has changed since the last time I talked about my knitting. This is the edging of my Village Sweater Wrap:  The picture fails to capture how much further there is to go. I'm just past the first arm hole, so just over a third of the way through. It’s 47 stitches of relatively simple lace. I’ve been knitting it since Monday two weeks ago. It’s quite pleasant, and slowly growing but I can’t quite work out why it’s growing so slowly. One reason I know is that the first week I was knitting it during Good Beer Week, so I didn’t take it out and about with me. I knit other things, and when I’m knitting two things it makes everything feel like it takes forever. But the main reason, I think, is that this is just a slow knit for me. I love the needles I’m knitting on ( Karbonz of course) I love the yarn, I love the way the lace looks. So really, what’s the rush? I’m not going to be cold...