The last pair of socks I made for my father did not fit quite as well as I would have liked – I think because the Fish Lips Kiss heel isn’t the best for him, so I decided to make him another pair, using Stephanie Purl-McPhee's basic sock template. Since he likes his socks loud, I choose 4 colours from the Left Over Sock Yarn pile, a navy for the ribbing heels and toes, and I was good to go:
I did the first one using the Stashbuster Spirals method, which is a way of doing one row jogless stripes. Mainly by changing yarn colours every needle when knitting on four doublepoint needles.
While I like the results, changing yarn that often was somewhat annoying and the tension at each needle change was just slightly off.
I knit the second using the same colours, but the Blender technique. I really like this – no worries about jogs, although quite a lot of ends to sew in.
So, in Blender versus Spirals I think Blender wins. Next time I’m going to make two Blenders, but using a different stripe sequence, because for my father not matchy is always better, and it is certainly fun to knit wild, bright, crazy socks for him.