Skip to main content

Non-fiction books part 7

This is part seven in a series of non-fiction book reviews, based on the idea that the books I request tell you everything you need to know about me. Today we look at a new craft, take a little trip into my childhood and work on our mental health - with chickens(Quirky!) . All books are provided in electronic form by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. 

Punch NeedleTattoo Designs: 18 Beginner-Friendly Projects and Over 25 Additional Patternswith Style - Punch Needle Embroidery Designs for Home Décor, Clothing, Pillows,Bags, and More  Amy Buchanan 

I've heard of punch needle embroidery, but didn't really know what it was. Since I have a fascination with all fibre craft, and tattoos as well, I thought this would be a good entry into learning about the craft.

 

It serves as a strong introduction, with information about how to begin and troubleshooting. The projects are varied, and give lots of choices. One of the strongest things about this book is that it is empowering. It gives techniques an ideas, but leaves the details in the hands of the fibre artist. So, did I try punch needling? It's a pretty low bar to entry - the punch needle tool is about 5 bucks, and I've already got an embroidery hoop and lots of yarn. I haven't tried it yet, but that's because I am quite busy with other crafts, but this book certainly tempted me, and I may yet try it.

Therapy Chickens: Let the Wisdom of the Flock Bring You Joy Tedra Hamel


This book is fabulous. Tendra owns backyard chickens and her affection for them is evident in both her words and her charming illustrations. This is not a self help book - there are gentle suggestions and observations. It would be a fun book to work through as daily meditations. I'd like to give a paper copy to my friend Anna, who also loves her backyard chickens, but this would be a fun gift for anyone who might benefit from a little bit more joy in their lives.

AsterixOmnibus, vol. 11 Albert Uderzo

When I was growing up my father worked next door to the Carringbush (Richmond) library. On occasion we would be at his office, so we would go and hang out in the library, waiting for him to finish work. The library had a display of Asterix and Tin-Tin comics, next to a carpeted step and my brother and I would sit there and read them. I always found the Asterix comics pretty silly. Still when I had the chance to request this from NetGalley (I'm not sure why, since this seems to have released in 2019) I took the opportunity to wander down memory lane. And yes, this book is still pretty silly. I will say that this is presumably being sold as a paper copy, it's pretty challenging to read on a tablet. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelled wednesday and WAYRN - the one where I prepare

We are heading off for some camping and hiking and general R&R on Friday, so I'm currently in planning and preparing mode. Of course that mainly means deciding what to knit - I'm going to make the Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli. The yarn is wound and I'm ready to go. I completed Leon's Winter Set (2023) just in time, and it's currently blocking. I'm reading Georgette Hayer's Fredrica , which I am enjoying very much. Regency romance is so sweet and, unlike current romance offerings, I know it won't suddenly tumble into gynaecological territory!  For unexplained reasons, NetGalley is offering some Georgette Heyer books at the moment - (maybe it's re-release?) and I'm taking this opportunity to read a few more of them And that's my week in knitting and reading.  To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as  Sharondoublekni t and on GoodReads as  Sharondblk .  I'm joining in with Kat ...

Yarnalong - the one with the final bit of transport

Remember how I took every form of transport known to man a fortnight ago? Well, I was missing just one thing, suburban trains. But today I got to remedy that, knitting my way to Dandenong for work. Yay? My Char jumper has been knitting up ridiculously fast. It's easy, pleasant and a well written pattern. I'm reading Rachael Herron's latest book The Ones Who Matter Most . It's a good read so far, family centered fiction, easy to read but still emotionally challenging. I'm listening to Evelyn Waugh's Men At Arms . I'm enjoying it, I didn't really know what to expect, but some of it reminds me of Catch 22, in that it catalogues the absurdities of war and bureaucracy. The narrator has the perfect upper crust English accent and I'm very pleased it's the first of a trilogy.   And that's another week of reading, knitting and catching trains everywhere for me. Do pop along to Ginny's blog to see what she and the rest of the yarnalong ...

Slowly slowly

I haven’t posted about my actual knitting for a while. This might be because not much has changed since the last time I talked about my knitting. This is the edging of my Village Sweater Wrap:  The picture fails to capture how much further there is to go. I'm just past the first arm hole, so just over a third of the way through. It’s 47 stitches of relatively simple lace. I’ve been knitting it since Monday two weeks ago. It’s quite pleasant, and slowly growing but I can’t quite work out why it’s growing so slowly. One reason I know is that the first week I was knitting it during Good Beer Week, so I didn’t take it out and about with me. I knit other things, and when I’m knitting two things it makes everything feel like it takes forever. But the main reason, I think, is that this is just a slow knit for me. I love the needles I’m knitting on ( Karbonz of course) I love the yarn, I love the way the lace looks. So really, what’s the rush? I’m not going to be cold...