Monday, April 2, 2012

It's pretty but it hurts‏

I started Hazlehurst immediately after I finished Cloud - actually before I had finished the finishing on Cloud. But now I have stopped. For two reasons:

1) I knit for three days, and I didn't knit for excessive time on any of those days (for your information, excessive for me is more than about four hours in a day) On each of the mornings, I woke up with sore and aching hands. This might be because I'm using circulars with short tips, or it might be the way I hold my hands when doing colourwork.

2) It's really, really boring. Most of the colour work I've done has been just a few rows, or a more exciting pattern. This is, essentially, the same three rows over and over again. But, because they are colour work there is not rhythm or flow, like I get with stocking stitch, or lace.

I was knitting this, on average three inches a day (no idea why I'm measuring in inches here). Because I'm short, to make it the same length on me at Kate Davies' is on her, I would have to knit it to 72 inches. Which means if I knit this, and only this for a month I might have it nearly done. Given I didn't find the knitting pleasantly challenging, or comfortably soothing, but somewhere awkwardly in between, I'm putting this in hibernation, until I can decide what to do with it.

4 comments:

  1. Sharon, this is my favourite bit 'I didn't knit for excessive time on any of those days (for your information, excessive for me is more than about four hours in a day)'....I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right?! I'm lucky if I knit 4 hours a week atm…

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound boring... but so pretty! Would you make it shorter??? I thought it looked a bit long myself...

    ReplyDelete