Skip to main content

Rip and repeat

I was knitting away on my Cat Bordhi socks, and I got to the heel. I was very excited and a little bit puzzled because it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me, but I knit on, thrilled to be having an exploration in heels, rather than following my usual tried and trusted heel flap and gusset route.  Unfortunately, I missed the "set up" rows for the heel, so on first try it didn't work. I ripped it on Thursday evening, and put it right on Friday at lunch time. And then I knit on, finishing the heel, the bit after the heel, the gusset decreases. All the time I was looking at it, thinking that it was a little longer than my usual socks. I tried it on and thought that it was a little loose, but it's a 64 stitch sock, so I figured  everything would sort itself out after the gusset decreases. After all, this is a brand new way of knitting socks, how do I know what it is meant to look like at the mid way point? Then I finished the gusset decreases, tried it on and found this:
 

FAIL. It's half way to being a knee sock, there is some weird bagging going on at the back of the foot, the heel bears no relationship to my heel and it was all quite wrong. So I ripped it and cast on a 64 stitch, top down heel flap and gusset sock. It's going quite well, thank you for asking.

Comments

  1. you could have done an afterthought heel...
    or a contrast heel and toe...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Look what I found!!

I was putting away the yarn from my mothers ASJ, which I have finished - it's having a bath right now, and I found this blue yarn:

Now, I'm pretty sure that the yarn I left at book club a month ago was Patonyle in navy, and that's what this is too! Either way, it is an exact match:

That's the old yarn and the one I just found, together, and they are the exact same colour!

There is only 13 grams, so I don't know if it will be enough to finish both sleeves, and the  iCord front, but if it is I won't have to wait another month to declare this project done!


Moving on UP

So, last week Leon and I bought a house! Well, actually a perfectly sized flat. The thing about our perfectly sized flat is that it’s a bit smaller than our current rather home – where we live now is a giant flat built in the 1960s. We’ve got loads of space, a  dining room,  a garage and a storage room. Unfortunately, not too much maintenance has been done on the place in the last three decades. The place we’ve bought is lovely – 15 years old, with a new kitchen, views to forever and nothing is falling apart. But it’s got a carspot, and room for a dining table in the living room. So, I’ve had a look at my stuff and I’m getting rid of things like a crazy lady! Also, it turns out I’d rather get rid of everything than move it. I'm destashing as if we are moving into the carspot, rather than the flat! All our CDs –GONE. All the DVDs –given away, books - bye bye...

It’s been really interesting, especially in relation to my crafting things. I’ve got quite a lot of spinning fibre, and I’m…

Yarnalong - the one with the end of a chapter

Last week Ginny announced that, after 6 years, she was finishing the yarnalong. . I’ve been participating since  December 2013 ; over three years. It’s bittersweet – doing the Yarnalong has given me a good structure to my blogging and I’ve loved reading about what Ginny, and all the other members of the yarnalong get up to every week. But this is a time of change for me – some very exciting things have happened, which I can’t share here quite yet. It’s a time for letting go, and for new beginnings. So I leave you with one last photo of my kindle and my knitting, and I say “thank you” to Ginny, and everyone else who have brightened my Wednesdays for the last 6 years.