Sunday, December 1, 2013

"Favorite" socks


After finishing Spice Road I couldn't quite work out what I wanted to knit next. It might have been my mood in general, because I had a really hard time choosing a novel to read. Anyway, I decided to knit something small and delightful, which for me usually means a pair of footlets, for the slowly progressing sneaker liner project. I chose a pair I've had my eye on for ages, padded footlets, from Interweave's Favorite Socks. I've only changed two things, I've made them one colour and I haven't included the padding, I like my sports socks as thin as possible. I'm using the leftovers from the Miss Babs October shipment, and I love how they have come out. They are the best fitting footlets I've made yet, partly because lace and ribbing is wonderful and pulling a sock close to the foot, but also because this pattern uses short rows to make the back of the heel slightly higher than the front, so it won't disappear into shoes. It also has a patterned heel flap and wonderful, wonderful detailing. Pretty and practical. Such a joy.


 And for those of you following on at home I decided to read A Queer and Pleasant Danger, by Kate Bornstein and I am enjoying that too. It's the memoir of a Jewish, ex Scientologist lesbian transsexual. It's an interesting, satisfying and sometimes deeply funny, sometimes heartbreakingly sad read.

No comments:

Post a Comment