This week has mainly been about knitting on my Decimal cardigan. I've joined the sleeves and am working on the yoke. While it has been a generally fun knit, there have been moments of stress. The worst one was when this. I cast on for straight sleeves, staring with 53 stitches, and planning to increase to the 83 stitches called for in the pattern. Two days later I was in the shower before work, feeling happy and contented with my world and my knitting, when I realised, with a crashing thud of my heart, that I was going to end up with the right number of stitches, but with the pattern in the wrong place. When I looked at pictures of Decimal I realised that the pattern placement is vital, to get the beautiful placement of decreases, as shown in Snowden Becker (the designers) piece:
So I thought about it, I worried about it, I didn't do any work because my job is really boring and my energy was elsewhere. Ravellry is blocked at work, so I couldn't look it up on there. I sent emergency emails and got comfort but no concrete advice. Basically I had to move the entire pattern 5 stitches across. I really didn't want to rip, I was already half way through the sleeves. Eventually I took a leaf out of the great Cat Bordhi's book: she says in a tube you can put the increases anywhere and it will still be a tube. I did twice as many increases on one side as the other. That this can work did my head in, but it has worked.
I've also finished spinning the first half of the singles for the Bitteroot shawl. I love the way this is looking and it is an absolute delight to spin.
And now I'm off to Christmas at Leon's family, hopefully I'll be able to make more progress on the Decimal while I'm there this afternoon.