Skip to main content

Oops

In my very last post  I excitedly claimed that I was going to knit Spice Road, exactly as written, except 20 percent longer to compensate for the Rowan Denim gauge shrinkage. Remember? And I (really, thought I) did. I knit the sleeves first, mainly in Melbourne and Morwell. Then I knit the back, in a very long day were I went to Warrnambool. And then, in Marysville on the weekend (for a fun run, not for work) I started the right front. As I started it, I realised there had to be buttonholes somewhere, so I checked the instructions. Nothing in the pattern. Odd. Then I checked the making up instructions which suggest you sew on the buttons, opposite the existing eyelets. What eyelets? My pattern doesn't have eyelets. I had no internet in Marysville, and I has selected the "print only one picture" option from Knitty, but I squinted at that one picture and realised that, when the pattern said "work 3 rows of eyelet rib... continuing in set rib" It meant that all the rib was meant to be eyelet rib. Here's an illustration of the eyelet rib:


I actually couldn't understand, when I first started knitting it, why there was so little of it, but now I know. I misread the pattern. Anyway, I decided to leave it as it is. I think it looks nice, just not what the pattern intended. I finished the left front on the train back from Wangarrata today, and here it is, all ready to be shrunk in the washing machine and sewn up.

I'm a bit nervous about the whole process, I have no idea if it is going to fit in any way shape or form, but I just now threw it in a 60 degree wash, so all shall be revealed, quite, quite soon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Look what I found!!

I was putting away the yarn from my mothers ASJ, which I have finished - it's having a bath right now, and I found this blue yarn:

Now, I'm pretty sure that the yarn I left at book club a month ago was Patonyle in navy, and that's what this is too! Either way, it is an exact match:

That's the old yarn and the one I just found, together, and they are the exact same colour!

There is only 13 grams, so I don't know if it will be enough to finish both sleeves, and the  iCord front, but if it is I won't have to wait another month to declare this project done!


Moving on UP

So, last week Leon and I bought a house! Well, actually a perfectly sized flat. The thing about our perfectly sized flat is that it’s a bit smaller than our current rather home – where we live now is a giant flat built in the 1960s. We’ve got loads of space, a  dining room,  a garage and a storage room. Unfortunately, not too much maintenance has been done on the place in the last three decades. The place we’ve bought is lovely – 15 years old, with a new kitchen, views to forever and nothing is falling apart. But it’s got a carspot, and room for a dining table in the living room. So, I’ve had a look at my stuff and I’m getting rid of things like a crazy lady! Also, it turns out I’d rather get rid of everything than move it. I'm destashing as if we are moving into the carspot, rather than the flat! All our CDs –GONE. All the DVDs –given away, books - bye bye...

It’s been really interesting, especially in relation to my crafting things. I’ve got quite a lot of spinning fibre, and I’m…

Yarnalong - the one with the end of a chapter

Last week Ginny announced that, after 6 years, she was finishing the yarnalong. . I’ve been participating since  December 2013 ; over three years. It’s bittersweet – doing the Yarnalong has given me a good structure to my blogging and I’ve loved reading about what Ginny, and all the other members of the yarnalong get up to every week. But this is a time of change for me – some very exciting things have happened, which I can’t share here quite yet. It’s a time for letting go, and for new beginnings. So I leave you with one last photo of my kindle and my knitting, and I say “thank you” to Ginny, and everyone else who have brightened my Wednesdays for the last 6 years.