Friday, November 22, 2013

Sweater Surgery 1



Last year I made Leon Stra Boy, from Contemporary Irish Knits. While I really like it, it was too long from the very beginning   and it hasn't become magically shorter over time. Leon mainly wears it around the house, because it looks a bit like a dress. So I decided to shorten it. Since it is knit top down, I knew I was going to have to cut it, but for some reason I thought I could just hack off the bottom and magically the stitches I needed would be free, I'd put them on the needle and then I could knit on down. I tried that, and it didn’t work. I couldn't find the stitches. It all just sort of sat there...
 
 
 Luckily, because this is 100 percent Blue Faced Leicester, the stitches were going nowhere. I discovered that I needed to snip just one thread and then unravel it. It was rather time consuming, sort of like kitchenering in reverse, but I eventually I had all the stitches on the needle, and I reknitted the seed stitch border.Now it fits him like a jumper should and hopefully he'll get a lot more wear out of it.
 
I'm really glad I made the effort to get this jumper 100 percent right,and now I'm looking at some other jumpers and things, trying to see how I can make them better. the first thing i am going to do is hem a pair of suit trousers that have been waiting for a cuple of weeks, and then we'll see what else can be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment