Friday, September 8, 2017

Bousta Beanie - Done

Two years ago I knit a beanie to wear when I'm riding and working out in winter. I loved it and I think it fit me perfectly at the time. But two winters of wearing it under a bike helmet and getting rained on has made this beanie just a smidge two small. When I saw the Bousta Beanie, this year's Shetland Wool week pattern, I knew I had to make it.



 I used stash Jamieson and Smith. One thing I love about  this hat is that is seems to look amazing in pretty much every colour combination.  I shortened it by one repeat - partly because i can't have it too long under a helmet, mainly because I almost ran out of the light grey background yarn - only 5 grams left.

This may be partly attributed to my discovery, when i went to change to DPNs to knit the last of the crown decreases, that I'd knit the body of the hat on 3.75mm needles, not the 3.5mm needles specified in the pattern. And many people actually go down a needle size to knit this hat.

Still it fits quite well, and will probably become smaller after a couple of years. Meanwhile, I'm considering knitting another with  the left overs of my Millers Daughter shawl - although it would probably help to knit the shawl before deciding what to do with the left over yarn from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment