Skip to main content

Linky Wednesday - the one with many projects

Thanks to all who sent good thoughts for my Father. He's out of hospital and seems perfectly fine, so that's a great outcome. 

I read and loved The Book Keeper by Sarah Painter. That blend of relationship-based urban fantasy was exactly what I was in the mood for. Then I tried to read Someone Else's Shoes by Jojo Moyes. While Moyes writes nicely I found all the characters annoying and the idea that high heels could ever make life better is repugnant. I moved on to Derring-Do for Beginners  by Victoria Goddard. I love Victoria Goddard. All her books are set in the same universe, but different times, so this is the backstory for some characters we are very familiar with. Delightful. 

In audiobooks, I'm about to finish a rather silly freebee Mad Love by Wendy Walker. It's full cast, so it feels like listening to a radio play. It's fine. It describes itself as a thriller, but there is nothing particularly thrilling about it. The entire novella is a (probably unintentional) argument for gun control.   


Any suggestions for my next listen are appreciated.

Next up in eye-reading, I've got four NetGalley books to read and review in October, starting with The Day He Disappeared by Catharine Miller. It's described as 'an absolutely heartbreaking and unputdownable page-turner' and I am here for that!

After my cast-on attack last week I have three things on the needles. The gnome is very close to finished, here's the pattern as written. 


But I think he needs arms, so I'm improvising him a pair.
The handspun  shawl had a bit of a hiccup, where I knit the 'teeth' on the wrong side for a whole repeat, so not much progress there. We have a long weekend because Friday is The Day Before a Football Game So We Don't Have to Go To Work day.  I'll have some time to work on this - although I also want to spin and make some polymer clay gnomes.

The bathmat is going very nicely and only needs a few more hours work:

I'd love to get all these finished before sOctober, but I think that might be a reach - at least if I still want to be able to use my hands!

To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as Sharondoubleknit and on GoodReads as Sharondblk

I'm joining in with Kat from As Kat Knits for Unravelled Wednesday and Kat from the Bookdate for It's Monday, What Are You Reading.  This week I'm also linking up with Sam from Taking on a World of Words for WWW Wednesday where we talk about what we are currently reading, what we have just finished and what we are going to read next. 

Comments

  1. I love your gnome, so gorgeous. And I love a pair of flat comfy shoes. High heels nah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your site. I am a knitter and small-loom weaver...and a book blogger. I found you today on Sam's WWW Wednesday linky. That's where I shared my post. I'll be signing up to follow you. We seem to have similar interests! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a busy reading week, with a packed October!

    I am glad that your father is doing well.

    I love the Gnomes!

    Have a great week!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/09/25/www-wednesday-currently-reading-finished-reading-reading-next-104/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I’m with you on the idea that high heels could ever make life better. Your gnomes are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's great news about your dad! Your gnome looks adorable though I agree, it needs arms. I've been winging a sweater for my son. He was here on the weekend and I tried it on him. So far it fits well, except that he thinks the neck is too tight. At least that's an easy fix, even if it does mean taking part of it out.
    The Unholy Island series looks good, but I can't find one at any of my libraries. Same for Derring-Do for Beginners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they are both self-published. Unholy Island is free with the Kobo subscription service.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Geogradiant MKAL Part 1 - that was unexpected (spoilers)

Stephen West released the first MKAL clue on Thursday night. I started knitting it without looking at spoilers. When I got up on Friday he had sent through an "alternative" clue one. I then went and had a look at the spoiler thread to try to work out what was going on. Which was that some people thought the pattern looked like a "German hate symbol". I knit on anyway, since I was half-way through. Then he took down the original clue, replacing it with a mitred square in garter stitch. The Ravelry forums and Instagram are a complete shit-show, even though Rav is being moderated. It's been a bit disheartening, having something that is usually quite light and fun weighed down with all this. I admire Stephen's quick and sensitive response to this drama. I also feel that anything can look like anything if you squint. To me this looks like a Celtic knot. I think mine is pretty, and I'll knit on through all crises. 

Linky Wednesday - 3/2024

  It's been a bit of a week. Because of my hand , I can't really knit, so I'm doing some charity crocheting:  It's quite fun, but also I'm halfway through a shrug for myself, and I'd rather be knitting. Oh well, we can't always get what we want! In reading, I'm reading Stargazy Pie , the next Victoria Goddard. This is a comedy of manners and  lots of things happen. I can't say I feel deeply  about any of them, but that's not the point. It's fun.   I'm listening to Elin Hilderbrand's The Five-Star Weekend . It's got a lot of characters, and it took me while to get into it, but now I'm invested. Women's fiction at it's finest. Next up is a review book Tidelines by Sarah Sasson. Great cover. It's Australian, and you know how I love a local book (although I think it's set, or at least starts in Sydney). It's described as a coming of age  novel, and I love those too, so it sounds like a winner.  I just re-read t

Linky Wednesday - the one with the drama

The drama about the Stephen West MKAL  continues, and I can't be bothered with it. It's meant to be a fun, interesting, communal knit and and that's not what this year has turned in to. Stephen has done his best in a difficult situation, but I'm just not feeling it. Meanwhile, Israel is at war, and we (as a country) are going to vote "no" on a referendum that asks for basic consideration for Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islanders.  So yeah, lots of turmoil here. It's very tiring. I'm knitting a sock and considering what happens next.  Luckily the reading was dramatic in a good way. I'm reading a NetGalley review copy of Last Summer at the Lake House and it's great.  Super dramatic family drama about three sisters who loose their father unexpectedly and then find out that the family has secrets. I 've nearly finished it and I don't know what I'm going  to read next. I've got a bit of a break between review books, so maybe Sta