Skip to main content

Some random crafting

 As mentioned, after ten days in Queensland I came back for a week, and now I'm heading off to Geelong for a crafting retreat. I decided not to go back to work - it was only four days (Friday is a football related public holiday and Monday was Yom Kippur), so I figured just take the full three weeks. As well as going away and my usual activities (except no Pole, since I have a slightly torn tricep), I have spent my time engaging in some rather random crafting pursuits.

I think we have to wear name tags at the retreat, so i made some out of polymer clay. I think they are pretty cute, particularly the pink one.


I finished the crotchet baby jumper out of handspun:

It's cute and functional, although I really struggled with the stitch count on the sleeves. At some point I'll crotchet a matching hat.

I finished the spinning project I was working on - 185 grams and 417 metres of a light DK weight yarn.

I'm probably going to use it as the contract colour for an argyle cardigan.

I also had a bobbin that I plied all my leftovers onto, to clear my working bobbins. I've been doing this for years. It was pretty full, so i decided to wind it off.

I thought it would be good for a Baby Surprise Jacket, but it's actually not that nice in the hand - kind of stringy. I find that interesting, since all the yarn that I made from these singles was lovely. It feels a bit naughty, but I might just throw it out.

Now I'm packed and heading off for a week of spinning and improving my spinning skills. I'll see you here next weekend with the full report.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unravelled wednesday and WAYRN - the one where I prepare

We are heading off for some camping and hiking and general R&R on Friday, so I'm currently in planning and preparing mode. Of course that mainly means deciding what to knit - I'm going to make the Old Romance cardigan by Joji Locatelli. The yarn is wound and I'm ready to go. I completed Leon's Winter Set (2023) just in time, and it's currently blocking. I'm reading Georgette Hayer's Fredrica , which I am enjoying very much. Regency romance is so sweet and, unlike current romance offerings, I know it won't suddenly tumble into gynaecological territory!  For unexplained reasons, NetGalley is offering some Georgette Heyer books at the moment - (maybe it's re-release?) and I'm taking this opportunity to read a few more of them And that's my week in knitting and reading.  To read my all my book reviews, and to see everything I knit, you can find me on Ravelry as  Sharondoublekni t and on GoodReads as  Sharondblk .  I'm joining in with Kat ...

Yarnalong - the one with the final bit of transport

Remember how I took every form of transport known to man a fortnight ago? Well, I was missing just one thing, suburban trains. But today I got to remedy that, knitting my way to Dandenong for work. Yay? My Char jumper has been knitting up ridiculously fast. It's easy, pleasant and a well written pattern. I'm reading Rachael Herron's latest book The Ones Who Matter Most . It's a good read so far, family centered fiction, easy to read but still emotionally challenging. I'm listening to Evelyn Waugh's Men At Arms . I'm enjoying it, I didn't really know what to expect, but some of it reminds me of Catch 22, in that it catalogues the absurdities of war and bureaucracy. The narrator has the perfect upper crust English accent and I'm very pleased it's the first of a trilogy.   And that's another week of reading, knitting and catching trains everywhere for me. Do pop along to Ginny's blog to see what she and the rest of the yarnalong ...

Slowly slowly

I haven’t posted about my actual knitting for a while. This might be because not much has changed since the last time I talked about my knitting. This is the edging of my Village Sweater Wrap:  The picture fails to capture how much further there is to go. I'm just past the first arm hole, so just over a third of the way through. It’s 47 stitches of relatively simple lace. I’ve been knitting it since Monday two weeks ago. It’s quite pleasant, and slowly growing but I can’t quite work out why it’s growing so slowly. One reason I know is that the first week I was knitting it during Good Beer Week, so I didn’t take it out and about with me. I knit other things, and when I’m knitting two things it makes everything feel like it takes forever. But the main reason, I think, is that this is just a slow knit for me. I love the needles I’m knitting on ( Karbonz of course) I love the yarn, I love the way the lace looks. So really, what’s the rush? I’m not going to be cold...