Thursday, July 7, 2011

Turkish

Now that I am enjoying my spindles as well as the wheel, I decided I wanted a turkish spindle. They are rim weighted, so they spin slower, but forever. And, since they have no hook they are sturdy enough to throw in the bag and go... I hope.

This is my my brand new Ist spindle, made of Brazillian Kingwood and so beautiful. I just want to hold it and stroke it and carry it around with me.

It's not teeny tiny, weighs in at 23 grams and will, I hope, be perfect for sock wool.

My first project on it will be to fractal spin some slightly felted wool I dyed for socks.

Here it is all prepared for spinning. (The colours are super bright, but don't look quite like this).


I have started, just to play, but am going to finish the yarn for my mothers shawl before I dedicate myself to this little beauty.

4 comments:

  1. Gosh it looks so big in your first photo, compared to when you're holding it. It does look gorgeous though… one more week…

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't understand spindles, one day can you show me how it all works?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie I can show you on Monday, I pretty much always have a spindle with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a Turkish spindle being used, looking forward to a demo.

    ReplyDelete