Skip to main content

Cleaning out the queue

After I finished the Travelling with Miss Babs shawl, I couldn't work out what to knit next. I have 20 things in my queue, half of which are socks, and three of which I don't actually have the yarn for yet. I have a few jumpers I really want to make, but nothing was jumping out for me to knit next. And then I decided to go through my queue and knit or delete anything that was over a year old. After all, if something has been sitting at the bottom of the queue for a year, without ever moving up, that suggests it might never get to the top.

So the oldest item in my queue was the Blackrose socks. I queued them in February 2012, after I finished spinning the yarn. As noted then, the smallest size calls for 220 meters of yarn, and I've got 214, from 91 grammes. The entire time I was knitting the dark purple was coming off on my hands, so it looked like I was really dirty. Oddly, when I soacked them for blocking, there was no dye runoff at all.
The first sock took 45 grammes, and came out a little short for me, so I'll be giving them to my mother, who has even shorter feet than I do. There was a little teeny balls of yarn left after I finished the second sock, so it wasn't as heart-stoppingly close as I feared it might be.


Popular posts from this blog

The yarn along is back!

Ginny is now doing yarnalong monthly, and I am so excited! Pop over there to see what everyone is up to this month:

 It's actually good, because my reading has been all over the place. After finishing Royal Assassin I read a trilogy of  Christmas stories set in Rachael Herron's Darling Bay. these were, of course, delightful. Then I started a review copy for a book called 

Eventually I settled down into The Sultan's Wife by Jane Johnson. I'm enjoying it - set in Morocco, so far it seems like a sort of romance between a eunuch and  a captured English woman.

The knitting is going well. After finishing Stasis jumper, I decided to make a pair of socks using the same yarn and motif: pretty, straightforward and simple. Loving it so far.

In the absence of the Yarnalong, I've taken to linking up with "It's Monday, what are you reading" over at The Book Date. There is a marked absence of knitting, but it's a good place to see what other people are reading.

Yarnalong - the one where it's May

I know I shouldn't be surprised at the normal passing of time, but I am! Especially since I missed April's yarnalong because I was on holidays in Scotland

Now, as if to continue that holiday for as long as possible, I am knitting Kate Davies' Highland Rogue scarf for Leon, in Scottish yarn that I bought at Edinburgh Yarn Fest. It's nearly done - currently about a metre seventy, I think I'll knit until that ball of yarn is finished.

Off the Scottish theme, I'm reading, or rather re-reading, Robin Hobb's Fool's Errand, the first book of the second Fitz trilogy.I'm just loving it. I don't remember anything from last time - about 15 years ago - but Fitz is no longer a whiny teenager, but an approaching middle aged man. I'm glad I'm enjoying it, it took me a while to find a good book this time. i actually DNFd a novel by my favourite romance author - I found I just didn't care about romance, and I struggled through an urban fantasy set in…

Yarnalong - the one where Scotland begins

As I may have mentioned once or twice, I'm going to Edinburgh Yarn Festival, and the walking the West Highland Way. As I like to theme everything, I have a Scottish reading list (which can be found here.)  I just started reading A Big Boy Did it and Ran Awayby Christopher Brookmyre. Leon read it first, and did warn me that it contains aeroplane terrorism, which is helping with my generally relaxed attitude about flying... It's a good rollicking read though. 

I'm knitting a blanket square from Kate Davies' latest club, which is walking us down the West Highland Way - a serendipitous coincidence. I probably won't knit the blanket, I'm doing this as a swatch, and as a way to test her new yarn Millorachy Tweed. The pattern is based on the markers on the West Highland Way, so I'm feeling very themed and in the mindset for this holiday. 

I'm linking up with Ginny's monthly Yarnalong, which can be found here