A long, long time ago, I saw the Firestarter sock pattern and decided I wanted to make it. This was some time before 2009, before the Sock Summit, before I had knit any socks. I looked at the pattern, I puzzled over it, I felt confused... and then I drifted off and knit other things. I knit lots of top down socks, and a very few toe up ones. And now I'm back at this pattern that first called to me so long ago. I have the perfect colour yarn, and with only 312 meters, toe up seemed the best plan.
I started with 148 grams, and ended up with 48, so it turned out I had plenty of yarn.
I quite like the structure Yarnmissa has developed, with a triangular gusset and heel flap. I had to cut the gusset short by 5 repeats, and they are still a little baggy. The other change I made was to only put the ribbing on the back of the leg, I thought they looked a bit strange with the ribbing starting on the front of the leg, but not the foot. All in all I enjoyed this toe up pattern, and would consider using this style of toe up with gusset again, now that I understand how it all comes together.